1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding 3D component vectors

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Express each force as a Cartesian vector and then determine the resultant force F. Find the magnitude and coordinate direction angles of the resultant force and sketch this vector on th coordinate system.
    There's a drawing of 1 force(F2) of magnitude 130N, along the negative z direction(-z), and another force(F1) of magnitude 80N, 40 degrees from the +x direction, 50 degrees from the -y direction and an incline of 30 degrees on the +z direction.

I want to know the component vectors of this force

I know how to find the component vectors of the forces using the x-axis direction and the y-axis directions only, I don't know the way to find the component vectors for the z-axis. (Which I think are (80sin40i and 80cos40j) if I am wrong please correct me.)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi yuhumei and welcome to PF. Consider a plane defined by the z-axis and the vector. Draw your vector assuming that the paper is that plane. Can you find its z-component?

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3

lightgrav

Homework Helper

you're mis-interpreting the diagram ...
    If those angles were really from the vector itself straight to each axis,
    then (cos^2 + cos^2 + cos^2) has to = 1.
    Probably, the "projection" of the 80N force onto the xy plane is 50deg from -y and 40deg from +x ... and the vector is 30deg from z .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook