Finding a Basis for Matrix A: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a basis for the solution set of the equation AX = 0, where X is a vector of variables. The solution space is at least a one-dimensional subspace of R4, but upon further inspection, it is a two-dimensional subspace. A basis is a set of vectors that span the solution space and can be used to express any solution vector as a linear combination. The conversation also suggests looking up the definitions of certain terms in a textbook. Finally, it mentions solving a system of equations with an infinite number of solutions by choosing simple values for some variables and solving for the rest.
Derill03
Matrix A:

1 2 4 1
2 4 8 2
3 1 5 7

The question says find a basis for the solution set AX=0, X is the vector of variables
[x1,x2,x3,x4]^t

What is a basis? and how can i approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
By inspection, I can see that the solution space for the equation AX = 0 will be at least a one-dimensional subspace of R4 (i.e., a line through the origin), and on closer inspection I can see that this solution space will be a two-dimensional subspace of R4, a plane through the origin.

You asked what a basis is. Isn't that term defined in your textbook? What this problem is asking for is a set of vectors that spans the solution space. IOW, a set of vectors such that any solution vector is a linear combination of the basis vectors.

You should also look up the definitions of the terms I have underlined.

Solve the equations x+ 2y+ 4z+ u= 0, 2x+ 4y+ 8z+ u= 0, and 3x+ y+ 5z+ 7u= 0. There is, of course, an infinite number of solutions so instead of a single solution you will get equations expressing some of the variables in terms of the others. Choose simple values for those "others" and solve for the rest.

1. How do I know if a matrix has a basis?

A matrix has a basis if it can be reduced to row-echelon form and has at least one non-zero row. If the number of non-zero rows is equal to the number of columns in the matrix, then the matrix has a basis.

2. What is the purpose of finding a basis for a matrix?

Finding a basis for a matrix is important for many mathematical applications, such as solving systems of equations, calculating determinants, and performing matrix operations. It also helps to simplify and organize complex matrices.

3. What are the steps for finding a basis for a matrix?

The steps for finding a basis for a matrix are as follows:
1. Reduce the matrix to row-echelon form using elementary row operations.
2. Identify the pivot columns in the row-echelon form. These columns will be the basis for the matrix.
3. If there are any non-pivot columns, choose a non-zero entry in each column and add it to the basis.
4. If necessary, use linear combinations to reduce the basis to a minimum number of vectors.

4. Can a matrix have more than one basis?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple bases. This is because a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can span the entire vector space. There can be multiple sets of vectors that fulfill this requirement, resulting in different bases for the same matrix.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding a basis for a matrix?

There are no shortcuts for finding a basis for a matrix, as it involves a systematic process of reducing the matrix to row-echelon form and identifying the pivot columns. However, with practice and familiarity with the process, it can become quicker and more efficient.