1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a basis of a subspace

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a basis for each of these subspaces of R4

All vectors that are perpendicular to (1,1,0,0) and (1,0,1,1)

2. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to approach this question. The only thing I can think of is that a vector that would be perpendicular to both would be where the dot product would equal zero aye?

So then that would give me

1x1 + 1x2 = 1x1 + 1x3 + 1x4 = 0.
    So in which case, I'd do RREF
    [[1,1,0,0]
    [1,0,1,1]]

to

[[1,0,1,1]
    [0,1,-1,-1]]

I get stuck here because I'm not sure how to solve for the basis at this point.
    I'm also unsure if what I did for rref was correct because vectors are usually denoted by column spaces, rather than what row spaces such as what I have done.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right start. But now you have to solve the linear equations. You've got 2 equations in 4 unknowns. You should be able to express the vector (a,b,c,d) in terms of two parameters by eliminating two unknowns. Can you do that?

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure if this is what I'm supposed to do but

Given that I have the RREF form, that gives me
    x1 + x3 + x4 = 0
    x2 - x3 - x4 = 0

Given that x1 and x2 are pivots, this gives me
    x1 = -x3 - x4
    x2 = x3 + x4

So, if I substitute x3 and x4 with a and b, this makes my basis the span of <-1,1,1,0> and <-1,1,0,1> ?

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, both of those vectors are perpendicular to the given vectors. And they are linearly independent, so sure, they are a basis. The subspace they span is the perpendicular subspace, the span itself isn't a 'basis'. Those two vectors are a basis.

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    Ah, your help was much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook