Finding a Basis for P2 Subspace with p'(5)=0

In summary: So 2a + b = 0Which means b = -2aSubstituting that into p(x) = ax^2 + bx + c,p(x) = ax^2 - 2ax + c= a(x^2 - 2x) + c= a(x(x-2)) + cTherefore, any element of P2 can be written as a linear combination of the basis elements 1 and x, and therefore {1, x} is a basis for P
Nexttime35

Homework Statement

The problem asks, find a basis for the P2 subspace that consists of polynomials, p(x) such that p'(5)=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a set of vectors is a basis if it's linear independent and spans the vector space.

So I let p(x) = ax2 + bx +c .

Then p'(x) = 2ax + b.
p'(2) = 4a + b

I set that equal to 0. so 4a+b = 0. then 4a=-b, and a= =1/4*b.

Now I am stuck as to where to go from here when finding a basis (prof hasn't really taught this yet)

I was wondering what the next step would be?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nexttime35! :smile:

(do you mean p'(2) = 0 ?)

Hints:

i] is 1 in the subspace??

ii] how many elements do you think the basis has? :wink:

I think the basis has two elements, a and b.

However, I am unsure how to apply your first hint to this question... Do you mean, can 4a+b=1?

Hi Nexttime35! :smile:
Nexttime35 said:
Do you mean, can 4a+b=1?

No, I mean is p = 1 an element of P2 such that p'(2) = 0 ? :wink:

Nexttime35 said:

Homework Statement

The problem asks, find a basis for the P2 subspace that consists of polynomials, p(x) such that p'(5)=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a set of vectors is a basis if it's linear independent and spans the vector space.

So I let p(x) = ax2 + bx +c .

Then p'(x) = 2ax + b.
p'(2) = 4a + b

I set that equal to 0. so 4a+b = 0. then 4a=-b, and a= =1/4*b.

Now I am stuck as to where to go from here when finding a basis (prof hasn't really taught this yet)

I was wondering what the next step would be?

Thank you.
What tiny-tim is asking about is the inconsistency between what you're given, p'(5) = 0, and what your work shows, p'(2) = 0.

Ahh, ok.

Then p=1 is not an element of p2 such that p'(2) = 0.

So a basis for this problem must consist of a function with only a degree 1, such as p(x) = x, or p(x) = 2x?

Oh sorry, I meant p'(2) = 0 in the problem header. Sorry about that.

Mark44 said:
What tiny-tim is asking about is the inconsistency between what you're given, p'(5) = 0, and what your work shows, p'(2) = 0.

i don't mind whether it's 2 or 5, it makes little difference, i was just checking :wink:
Nexttime35 said:
Nexttime35 said:
Then p=1 is not an element of p2 such that p'(2) = 0.

yes it is!

p = 1 is a polynomial, and its derivative is 0 everywhere!

Duh! My mistake! For some reason I understood that differently. So p(x) = 1 for some x, and then obviously p'(x)=0 . I am confused about how that helps me find a basis, though. Thoughts?

Nexttime35 said:
I think the basis has two elements, a and b.

However, I am unsure how to apply your first hint to this question... Do you mean, can 4a+b=1?
An element of P2 is a polynomial. We can think of these polynomials as vectors because with the appropriate definitions of vector addition and scalar multiplication, P2 has all the properties required of a vector space.

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the vector space. So in this problem, the vectors are polynomials, so you're looking for a set of polynomials that are linearly independent and that span the given subspace. Clearly ##a## and ##b## (the way you used them) aren't elements of the subspace, so they can't be elements of the basis.

So vela,

there isn't just one basis. There are essentially many, many bases that can be formed? So I could make a set of vectors {v1,v2,v3} and that would be a basis if each of those vectors (or polynomials in this case) satisfy p'(2)=0, and that are linearly independent?

Nexttime35 said:
Duh! My mistake! For some reason I understood that differently. So p(x) = 1 for some x, and then obviously p'(x)=0 . I am confused about how that helps me find a basis, though. Thoughts?

well, p = 1 is in the subspace, so is p = 2, p = √2, etc

so does that help with one of the elements of the basis? :smile:

Yes, there are many possible bases for a vector space.

You have a subset S of P2 such that any element in S satisfies p'(2) = 0. A basis for S should be a set of linearly independent vectors that you can express any element of S as a linear combination of the basis vectors. This is close to what you said but not exactly. You need to make sure you can express every element of S in terms of the basis vectors.

Yes!

So one element of the basis could be a constant, since that derivative of a constant is equal to 0. One element of the basis could be the function p(x) = x , because that satisfies the p'(2) = 0 condition. So, could {1, x} be a basis for the subspace of P2 in this case?

Hi Nexttime35! :wink:
Nexttime35 said:
Yes!

So one element of the basis could be a constant, since that derivative of a constant is equal to 0.

Yes! :smile:

(obviously, any constant will do, but equally obviously most people would choose 1 !)
One element of the basis could be the function p(x) = x , because that satisfies the p'(2) = 0 condition.

erm :redface:nooo! :rolleyes:

you had that part correct at the beginning …

do you need some sleep? :zzz:​

Nexttime35 said:
One element of the basis could be the function p(x) = x , because that satisfies the p'(2) = 0 condition.
If p(x)=x, then p'(x)=1. That doesn't satisfy p'(2)=0.

So, could {1, x} be a basis for the subspace of P2 in this case?
Suppose for the moment that p(x)=x did satisfy the condition. If {1, x} was a basis, that means any polynomial satisfying p'(2)=0 can be written as a linear combination of 1 and x. You need to prove that is the case for whatever prospective basis you come up with.

Oh gosh. I think I do need some sleep...

So one element of the basis will be a constant. Say p(x) = 4x^2. Then plugging in x=2, we get p(2) = 16. p'(2) = 0. OK I understand. I had a brain fart... Say p(x) = 4x. Then plugging in x=2, we get p(2) = 8. p'(2) = 0. So, could a basis be {1,x,x^2}? Or am I just overthinking this?

Nexttime35 said:
Oh gosh. I think I do need some sleep...

So one element of the basis will be a constant. Say p(x) = 4x^2. Then plugging in x=2, we get p(2) = 16. p'(2) = 0.

Sorry, I'm calling a time-out

GET SOME SLEEP! :zzz:

NOW!

I sincerely apologize for my lapse in mathematical judgement.

The only derivative that can result in 0 is the derivative of a constant. Thus, is the basis for this subspace of P2 a one-element vector, a constant?

Nexttime35 said:
The only derivative that can result in 0 is the derivative of a constant. Thus, is the basis for this subspace of P2 a one-element vector, a constant?

SERIOUSLY!

go and have a meal, have a walk, have a sleep, do anything but this

and come back to this tomorrow! :smile:

1. What is a P2 subspace?

A P2 subspace is a mathematical term used to describe a subset of a vector space where the dimension is equal to or less than 2. In other words, it is a two-dimensional space or lower.

2. What is a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all other vectors in a given vector space. It serves as a foundation for understanding and solving problems within a specific vector space.

3. How do you find a basis for a P2 subspace?

To find a basis for a P2 subspace, you need to first determine the dimension of the subspace. In this case, the dimension is 2. Then, you need to find two linearly independent vectors within the subspace. These vectors will serve as the basis for the subspace.

4. What does p'(5)=0 mean in this context?

In this context, p'(5)=0 means that the derivative of the polynomial function p(x) evaluated at x=5 is equal to 0. This information is important in finding the basis for the P2 subspace, as it helps determine the coefficients of the polynomial function.

5. What is the significance of finding a basis for a P2 subspace with p'(5)=0?

Finding a basis for a P2 subspace with p'(5)=0 allows us to represent all vectors in this subspace using a linear combination of the two basis vectors. This is useful in solving problems and making calculations within this subspace. Additionally, p'(5)=0 provides a constraint that can help simplify the process of finding the basis.