What are some recommended chemistry books for a first-year student?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book as a Christmas gift for a friend who is a first-year student in Chemistry. The person asking for suggestions is a physicist and is looking for recommendations on good books in the field of Chemistry. Some suggestions mentioned include "Chemistry" Fifth Edition by McMurray & Fay, "Forgotten Genius" documentary, P.W. Atkins textbooks, and "Uncle Tungsten" by Oliver Sacks. The person also mentions that most textbooks cover the same topics in a similar manner.
ApexOfDE
I am finding a book as a Xmas gift for my friend. She is a 1st-year student in Chemistry. But unfortunately I am physicist, so I don't know which book is good. So can you suggest me some title that I should buy?

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, if you're looking for a textbook I'm using "Chemistry" Fifth Edition by McMurray & Fay. It's good but it'll probably set you back $200 Canadian new.

Many universities have reading lists on the web, failing that they may have timetables from which you can get contact information for lecturers and the like to see what they're recommending...

Last edited by a moderator:
P.W. Atkins textbooks are pretty popular. His "Physical Chemistry" is probably the most used introduction to the topic, and Shriver, Atkins, Langford's "Inorganic Chemistry", while not really a 'fun' book, is pretty much the only book a chemist needs on that topic unless they specialize in it.

All-in-all though I'm pretty textbook-neutral. After all, most of them cover more-or-less the same stuff in more-or-less the same way (true for physics too and pretty much everything).

As for a popular-scientific book with a chemistry theme (and a personal one) I liked "Uncle Tungsten" by Oliver Sacks.

1. Where can I find a chemistry book?

You can find a chemistry book at most bookstores, both in physical locations and online. You can also look for e-books or digital versions of the book.

2. What is the best chemistry book for beginners?

There are many great chemistry books for beginners, but some popular options include "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Nivaldo J. Tro and "Chemistry for Dummies" by John T. Moore and Chris Hren.

3. How do I choose the right chemistry book?

When choosing a chemistry book, consider your level of knowledge and understanding of the subject, the topics covered in the book, and the author's writing style. You may also want to read reviews or ask for recommendations from others.

4. Can I find chemistry books for free online?

Yes, there are many resources for free online chemistry books, including open access databases, university websites, and digital libraries. However, keep in mind that not all books may be available for free.

5. What is the difference between a general chemistry book and an organic chemistry book?

A general chemistry book covers the basic principles and concepts of chemistry, including topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, and reactions. An organic chemistry book focuses specifically on the study of carbon-containing compounds and their properties and reactions.