Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a function that fits?

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    I do a lot of computer programming and often times i have a very clear idea of a function i need to model something, but i have no idea what kind of function would be good to model it, or how to vary its parameters to get what i need etc.

what i need is some way to sketch the function using just mouse or something, and a program that would tell me what kind of function would best approximate what I had in mind. for example, exponential, polynomial, tan inverse, some combination of those? Does anyone know of a program/procedure that does something like this?

Math forum is the best place i could find for this, i'm sorry if its not an exact fit.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Use binary logic [0 and 1] to model the physical states you are studying. You can then arbitrarily define boundary conditions for 0 and 1 and examine them statistically.

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    hi, i'm sorry but i don't really understand what you mean. What are the physical states? For example, last time i was trying to determine what speed you have to run in the rain to minimize the amount of water you come to contact with (get least wet). I needed to have a function E(v), where given velocity v, I would get back the Extra area exposed to the vertical rain (since you are lifting your legs so that rain can strike those too). I could graph the function E(v) from just empirical observations, roughly, but i couldn't translate the thing into math! I didn't know what function to use in my calculations.
    And I have no idea how I would apply your solution to something like this. what would be the physical states?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?