1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a function that fits?

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    I do a lot of computer programming and often times i have a very clear idea of a function i need to model something, but i have no idea what kind of function would be good to model it, or how to vary its parameters to get what i need etc.

what i need is some way to sketch the function using just mouse or something, and a program that would tell me what kind of function would best approximate what I had in mind. for example, exponential, polynomial, tan inverse, some combination of those? Does anyone know of a program/procedure that does something like this?

Math forum is the best place i could find for this, i'm sorry if its not an exact fit.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use binary logic [0 and 1] to model the physical states you are studying. You can then arbitrarily define boundary conditions for 0 and 1 and examine them statistically.

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    hi, i'm sorry but i don't really understand what you mean. What are the physical states? For example, last time i was trying to determine what speed you have to run in the rain to minimize the amount of water you come to contact with (get least wet). I needed to have a function E(v), where given velocity v, I would get back the Extra area exposed to the vertical rain (since you are lifting your legs so that rain can strike those too). I could graph the function E(v) from just empirical observations, roughly, but i couldn't translate the thing into math! I didn't know what function to use in my calculations.
    And I have no idea how I would apply your solution to something like this. what would be the physical states?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook