1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Gaussian integral

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Gaussian integral:

[itex]I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2-4x-1}dx [/itex]

(That's all the information the task gives me, minus the [itex]I=[/itex], I just put it there to more easily show what I have tried to do)

2. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to square [itex]I[/itex] and get a double integral:

[itex]I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{(-x^2-4x-1)+(-y^2-4y-1)}dxdy [/itex]

and then my plan was to convert to polar-coordinates, however, this is my first time ever with double-integrals and/or switching to polarcoordinates, and I am kind of lost because every single example on the internet use the standard [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] gaussian function(and it is easy to see [itex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/itex]). Anyone who can push me in the right direction(I'm not even sure what finding the Gassuian integral means(?))?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Complete the square. -x^2-4*x-1=(-(x+2)^2+3). Try using that.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3
    Tried that earlier on, but didn't get anywhere with it. Been trying it some more now, but I still don't see it though. I don't see the next step, I'm going to try some more though=) Thanks

5. Jan 13, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Next step would be a change of variables, u=x+2. Keep thinking about it.

6. Jan 13, 2012 #5
    There! At least I got to the same answer as Wolfram Alpha;

[itex] I = \sqrt{\pi}e^{3}[/itex]

I hope it is correct. The steps I did after changeing variables [itex]r^2=(x+2)^2 + (y+2)^2[/itex] was substituting

[itex]u=r^2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dr}= 2r[/itex]

[itex]du = 2rdr[/itex]

[itex]dr = \frac{du}{2r}[/itex]

And just left the 6-constant alone all until I did the actual integral:

[itex]2\pi \int_{0}^{\infty} re^{-u+6} \frac{du}{2r}[/itex]

[itex]\pi \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-u+6}du = \pi e^6[/itex]

(I think it's correct)
    Thanks for the help=)

7. Jan 13, 2012 #6
    wow that's great.

8. Jan 13, 2012 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is great. But you don't have the repeat the polar coordinate trick every time you see a Gaussian integral. After you've done it once, you should just remember (or look up) [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2} du=\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]

9. Jan 13, 2012 #8
    Yeah, the next task was somewhat similar, same objective, and it took only 3 minutes compared to the 3-4 hours of the last one =)

Now it's on to triple-integrals and what will probably be the most fun weekend since school ended before christmas!

Again, thanks=)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook