Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Job

  1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    Alright guys, I'm looking for a job. One problem is that my Master's is just about done.

    A job that I have a REALLY good chance at says I must be fully available for 3 months. But the thing is, I will need a day off to do my Master's presentation. Otherwise, I'm ok.

    What should I do?

    Apply anyways and just ask if they are willing to accept my condition if I get accepted?

    Note: I don't have internet so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a response. :) Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Don't come at them with one day off as a "condition". If they offer you the job, tell them that you are happy to accept, and that you will need one day off to complete your Masters and that you can give them ample advanced knowledge of the day.

    Don't cut yourself out of the running with negatives. There is no gurantee you will not, for some reason, have to miss a day within 3 months due to an emergency. They just want to let you know that you shouldn't be planning to schedule vacation or be irresponsible during that time.

    But, if you think it is that much of an issue, just bring it up in a non-cronfontational way that they mentioned availability and that it's not a perobloem, but you are getting your Master's and will need just a single day that they will have plenty of advanced knowledge about.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. Apr 20, 2010 #3
    Thank you!

    Yeah, that's what I meant. When they offer the job, I will say that I need a day off or maybe two to complete my Master's.

    Because on the posting it says to be available for 12 weeks training.

    Here is the scenario that I'm fearing...

    They offer me the job. I tell them my condition. They respond with...

    "Why did you apply if you don't meet the requirements of being here for 12 weeks. It said in the posting."

    You know what I mean.

    I don't intend on misleading anyone.

    Any further advice is appreciated!
  5. Apr 20, 2010 #4
    You will need to tell them, and I agree with Evo. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do - if there's no major conflict with the training schedule (e.g. something completely unmissable is happening that day) then I would hope that it would be OK - after all, if they offer the job they want you for the company. Otherwise, we cannot say what is likely to happen.
  6. Apr 20, 2010 #5
    If they are that anal and not give you one measly day off to do a presentation or even half a day, then that much indicates the overall work environment there. Especially if you will be telling them now instead of the day before.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook