Job Searching: Requesting a Day Off for Master's Presentation

In summary, the individual is looking for a job but has a Master's degree that is almost complete. They are concerned about taking a day off for their Master's presentation if they get a job offer that requires full availability for three months. They are considering applying and asking for the day off if they get accepted, but are worried about how the employer will react. They are seeking advice on how to handle the situation.
Norman.Galois
Alright guys, I'm looking for a job. One problem is that my Master's is just about done.

A job that I have a REALLY good chance at says I must be fully available for 3 months. But the thing is, I will need a day off to do my Master's presentation. Otherwise, I'm ok.

What should I do?

Apply anyways and just ask if they are willing to accept my condition if I get accepted?

Note: I don't have internet so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a response. :) Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Norman.Galois said:
Alright guys, I'm looking for a job. One problem is that my Master's is just about done.

A job that I have a REALLY good chance at says I must be fully available for 3 months. But the thing is, I will need a day off to do my Master's presentation. Otherwise, I'm ok.

What should I do?

Apply anyways and just ask if they are willing to accept my condition if I get accepted?

Note: I don't have internet so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for a response. :) Thank you!
Don't come at them with one day off as a "condition". If they offer you the job, tell them that you are happy to accept, and that you will need one day off to complete your Masters and that you can give them ample advanced knowledge of the day.

Don't cut yourself out of the running with negatives. There is no gurantee you will not, for some reason, have to miss a day within 3 months due to an emergency. They just want to let you know that you shouldn't be planning to schedule vacation or be irresponsible during that time.

But, if you think it is that much of an issue, just bring it up in a non-cronfontational way that they mentioned availability and that it's not a perobloem, but you are getting your Master's and will need just a single day that they will have plenty of advanced knowledge about.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Don't come at them with one day off as a "condition". If they offer you the job, tell them that you are happy to accept, and that you will need one day off to complete your Masters and that you can give them ample advanced knowledge of the day.

Don't cut yourself out of the running with negatives. There is no gurantee you will not, for some reason, have to miss a day within 3 months due to an emergency. They just want to let you know that you shouldn't be planning to schedule vacation or be irresponsible during that time.

But, if you think it is that much of an issue, just bring it up in a non-cronfontational way that they mentioned availability and that it's not a perobloem, but you are getting your Master's and will need just a single day that they will have plenty of advanced knowledge about.

Thank you!

Yeah, that's what I meant. When they offer the job, I will say that I need a day off or maybe two to complete my Master's.

Because on the posting it says to be available for 12 weeks training.

Here is the scenario that I'm fearing...

They offer me the job. I tell them my condition. They respond with...

"Why did you apply if you don't meet the requirements of being here for 12 weeks. It said in the posting."

You know what I mean.

I don't intend on misleading anyone.

Any further advice is appreciated!

Norman.Galois said:
They offer me the job. I tell them my condition. They respond with...

"Why did you apply if you don't meet the requirements of being here for 12 weeks. It said in the posting."

You will need to tell them, and I agree with Evo. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do - if there's no major conflict with the training schedule (e.g. something completely unmissable is happening that day) then I would hope that it would be OK - after all, if they offer the job they want you for the company. Otherwise, we cannot say what is likely to happen.

If they are that anal and not give you one measly day off to do a presentation or even half a day, then that much indicates the overall work environment there. Especially if you will be telling them now instead of the day before.

1. Can I request a day off for my Master's presentation during a job search?

Yes, it is acceptable to request a day off for your Master's presentation during a job search. Many employers understand the importance of academic and professional development and may even encourage it.

2. How should I approach my employer about taking a day off for my Master's presentation?

You should approach your employer in a professional and polite manner. Schedule a meeting with your supervisor or HR representative and explain the importance of your Master's presentation and how it aligns with your career goals. Be sure to give plenty of notice and offer to make up any missed work.

3. Can my employer deny my request for a day off for my Master's presentation?

While it is possible for your employer to deny your request, they should have a valid reason for doing so. If your request is denied, try to have an open and honest conversation with your employer to find a solution that works for both parties.

4. Should I provide proof of my Master's presentation to my employer?

It is not necessary to provide proof of your Master's presentation to your employer. However, if they request it for documentation purposes, you should be prepared to provide any necessary materials.

5. Will taking a day off for my Master's presentation affect my job search?

Taking a day off for your Master's presentation should not affect your job search. In fact, it may even be seen as a positive by potential employers as it shows your commitment to personal and professional growth. Just be sure to communicate clearly and effectively with any potential employers about your availability during the job search process.