1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a limit R²->R

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    Hi there. Well, in the next exercise I must find the limit of [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(xy)-1}{x}}[/tex], if it exists. I wanna know if I did it right.

If [tex]y=cx[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(xy)-1}{x}}=\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(cx^2)-1}{x}}=\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{-\sin(cx^2)2cx-1}{1}}=-1[/tex]

If [tex]x=cy[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(cy^2)-1}{cy}}=\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{-\sin(cy^2)2cy-1}{cy}}=-\displaystyle\frac{1}{c}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore{\not{\exists}}\textsf{double limit}[/tex]

So, what you say?

By there, and thanks for posting.

PD: Ok, Now I see, after plotting with wolfram, some calculus errors I've committed. The limit actually seems exists. So I should use the delta epsilon definition of limits to make a demonstration.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If y=cx, then x=dy where d=1/c. You shouldn't get different answers trying each variety.

It looks like you're trying L'hopital's rule, but you aren't differentiating properly (the derivative of 1 is zero for example, and the derivative of cy is not going to be cy). Furthermore you're only differentiating with respect to one variablei

Try expanding cos(xy) in terms of a power series
  4. Sep 11, 2010 #3
    You mean like using Taylor? I don't know how to with two variables. I see I've committed a few mistakes. As you say, it should give the same limit, which is zero. But, to demonstrate that zero is the limit I must use the delta epsilon definition, right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook