Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding a limit R²->R

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    Hi there. Well, in the next exercise I must find the limit of [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(xy)-1}{x}}[/tex], if it exists. I wanna know if I did it right.

If [tex]y=cx[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(xy)-1}{x}}=\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(cx^2)-1}{x}}=\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{-\sin(cx^2)2cx-1}{1}}=-1[/tex]

If [tex]x=cy[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{\cos(cy^2)-1}{cy}}=\displaystyle\lim_{(x,y) \to{(0,0)}}{\displaystyle\frac{-\sin(cy^2)2cy-1}{cy}}=-\displaystyle\frac{1}{c}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore{\not{\exists}}\textsf{double limit}[/tex]

So, what you say?

By there, and thanks for posting.

PD: Ok, Now I see, after plotting with wolfram, some calculus errors I've committed. The limit actually seems exists. So I should use the delta epsilon definition of limits to make a demonstration.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If y=cx, then x=dy where d=1/c. You shouldn't get different answers trying each variety.

It looks like you're trying L'hopital's rule, but you aren't differentiating properly (the derivative of 1 is zero for example, and the derivative of cy is not going to be cy). Furthermore you're only differentiating with respect to one variablei

Try expanding cos(xy) in terms of a power series

4. Sep 11, 2010 #3
    You mean like using Taylor? I don't know how to with two variables. I see I've committed a few mistakes. As you say, it should give the same limit, which is zero. But, to demonstrate that zero is the limit I must use the delta epsilon definition, right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook