Exploring the Limit of x^2sin(e/x)

• Thread starter lovely_aly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: Using squeeze theorem is probably easier.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of x^2sin(e/x) as x approaches 0. The attempt at a solution involves using limit laws, but it is pointed out that the limit law can only be applied when both limits exist. Another approach is suggested using a change of variables, where u=1/x, and applying the squeeze theorem. It is also mentioned that the limit of sin(x)/x as x approaches 0 is 1.
lovely_aly

Homework Statement

Find the lim x-->0 x^2sin(e/x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the limit laws I can say that
lim x-->0 x^2sin(e/x) = lim x-->0 x^2 * lim x-->0 sin(e/x)
lim x-->0 x^2=0; but lim x-->0 sin(e/x) however, is undefined...right?

So, the limit doesn't exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
The theorem is... IF lim f and lim g exist, then lim(f+g) exists and equals limf+limg. Here, lim sin(e/x) doesn not exist, so you can't use this theorem.

But try to use the facts that |sin(y)|<=1 and the fact that lim |f(x)|=0 <==> lim f(x)=0.

lovely_aly said:
Using the limit laws I can say that
lim x-->0 x^2sin(e/x) = lim x-->0 x^2 * lim x-->0 sin(e/x)
lim x-->0 x^2=0; but lim x-->0 sin(e/x) however, is undefined...right?

No, you can't say that. You have to read the limit law carefully. It only allows you to split the limits up like that when both limits do exist.

Instead try the following change of variables. Let [itex]u=\frac{1}{x}[/itex]. Then [itex]x\rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow u\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

Tom Mattson said:
Instead try the following change of variables. Let [itex]u=\frac{1}{x}[/itex]. Then [itex]x\rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow u\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

Could you clarify this a bit more for me, please? Should I be subsituting [itex]u=\frac{1}{x}[/itex] for (e/x)? And essentially by taking the sin(infinity) the limit would be -1? Am I following this correctly?

Forgive me if I'm a little slow with this. I'm a newbie to calculus, this is the first term I've ever taken and it's an online accelerated course. So, while I enjoy math and usually get it pretty quickly, my extreme overload of information has got my brain sort of going in circles.

And, thank you! I really appreciate the help. =)

He means that you should consider
[tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{u^2}sin(ue)[/tex]

You can then apply the squeeze theorem to this limit."And essentially by taking the sin(infinity) the limit would be -1?"
Not sure where you get this. sin(infinity) is not well-defined in any sense.

You might also use the fact that
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}= 1[/itex]

Halls: can't he use squeeze theorem directly without the substitution, or am I missing something?

Yes, you could. I was just suggesting another possibility.

1. What is the limit of x^2sin(e/x) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of x^2sin(e/x) as x approaches infinity is 0. This can be found by using L'Hopital's rule or by recognizing that as x gets larger, the sine function oscillates faster and approaches 0.

2. How do you graph x^2sin(e/x)?

To graph x^2sin(e/x), you can use a graphing calculator or a graphing software. Alternatively, you can plot points by choosing values for x and solving for y, then connecting the points to create a curve. The graph of x^2sin(e/x) is a sinusoidal wave with decreasing amplitude as x approaches infinity.

3. What is the domain and range of x^2sin(e/x)?

The domain of x^2sin(e/x) is all real numbers except 0, as the function is undefined at x = 0. The range of x^2sin(e/x) is (-infinity, infinity) as the function oscillates between positive and negative values infinitely.

4. How does the value of e affect the graph of x^2sin(e/x)?

The value of e affects the graph of x^2sin(e/x) by scaling the horizontal axis. As e increases, the oscillations of the graph become faster and the amplitude decreases, resulting in a tighter and more compressed curve.

5. Is x^2sin(e/x) an even or odd function?

x^2sin(e/x) is an even function, meaning that it is symmetric about the y-axis. This can be seen by substituting -x for x in the function, which results in the same output as when x is used.