1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a line passing through a known point/tangent to a curve at an unknown point

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the line passing through the point (0,-18) and tangent to the curve y=x^3-2 at some point.

2. Relevant equations
    y=mx+b

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know the derivative is 3x^2, and that should be the slope of the line at the point of tangency. I'm just not sure how to find out what point the curve shares with the line! I know that seems like a pretty bad attempt at a solution, I just need a hint about where to start with this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Finding a line passing through a known point/tangent to a curve at an unknown poi

The line you want passes passes through a point on the curve y = x3 - 2 , so, as an ordered pair, this point is (x, x3 - 2). The slope of the line is given as
    m = 3x2, for the same value of x that's in the ordered pair.

Now, we could use the point - slope form of a line, but the point given to us is the y intercept for any line passing through it. Use the slope-intercept form of a line. y = mx + b, where b = -18.

(x3 - 2) = (3x2)(x) - 18 .

Solve this equation for x, to find the x value for a point on the parabola.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook