1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Maximum

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f: U -> R where U is an open subset of R. Suppose that for some c in U, f'(c) = 0 and f''(c) < 0. Proof that the restriction of f to some open ball of center c attains a maximum at c.

The attempt at a solution
    Let e > 0. Then for some d' > 0, if |x - c| < d' then |f(x) - f(c)| ≤ e|x - c| since f'(c) = 0. Let f''(c) = -b for some positive b. Then for some d'' > 0, if |x - c| < d'' then |f'(x) + b(x - c)| ≤ e|x - c|. Thus, for d = min{d', d''}, if |x - c| < d then

|f(x) - f(c)| ≤ e|x - c| and |f'(x) + b(x - c)| ≤ e|x - c|.

Of course, what I need is f(x) ≤ f(c). I don't see how to get that from the above. Any tips?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming you know f'(x) > 0 implies f is increasing in a ball around x:

Sketch argument:
    f''(c)<0 means f' is decreasing in a ball around c. Hence as f'(c)=0, f'(x)>0 if x<c and f'(x)<0 if x>c for x close to c. If c isn't a maximum, there exists x s.t. f(x)>f(c). -> in between x and c, there exists d s.t. f'(d) = f(x)-f(c)/(x-c) What can you say about the sign of f'(d)?
  4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    I was not aware of this fact. I will attempt to prove it on my own.

If f'(d) is negative, x < c, but then we get a contradiction since f'(x) > 0 if x < c. A similar contradiction occurs if f'(d) is positive. So then f'(d) = 0 and f(x) = f(c), another contradiction. Thus c is a maximum.

Cool. Thanks a lot.
  5. Nov 15, 2008 #4
    This is more difficult than I thought. All I've been able to derive is the following: Let e > 0. Then there is a d > 0 such that if |y - x| < d, then

|f(y)| < (e + f'(x))|y - x| + |f(x)|.

But this doesn't help in determining that f(a) ≤ f(b) if a < b where a, b are in the ball of radius d centered at x.
  6. Nov 15, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If f'(y)>0 for some y, then [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow y} \frac{f(x)-f(y)}{x-y} > 0[/tex]

So heuristically (you can make this rigorous), near y, if x<y, f(x)<f(y) as otherwise the [tex]\frac{f(x)-f(y)}{x-y} < 0[/tex] and if x>y, f(x)>f(y) as otherwise [tex]\frac{f(x)-f(y)}{x-y} < 0[/tex] just by noting the numerator and denominator have opposite signs
  7. Nov 15, 2008 #6
    It never occured to me to look at [f(x) - f(y)] / (x - y). I understand your idea. However, that only shows that for some ball B centered at y, if x in B and x < y, then f(x) < f(y). It doesn't prove that f is increasing in B. For example, let x' in B and suppose x < x' < y. What can we conclude about f(x) versus f(x')?
  8. Nov 16, 2008 #7
    I don't think we need for f to be increasing. It's enough to show that f'(x)>0 if x<c and f'(x)<0 if x>c for x close to c.

Another comment: You seem to be using the mean value theorem for the existence of d, but we can't use it for we don't know whether f is continuous and differentiable on [x,c] (or [c,x]).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?