Calculating Resistance in a Parallel Circuit without Voltage Information

In summary, the voltage of the battery is equal to the battery's total current multiplied by the equivalent resistance of the three resistors in parallel.
Aleena753

Homework Statement

Three resistors are connected as shown in the diagram. If the current from the power supply is 250 mA and the current through R3 is 54 mA, what is the resistance of R3?
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Homework Equations

1/Req= 1/R1 + 1/R2 +1/R3

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First I used the parallel circuit formula of 1/Req= 1/R1+ 1/R2 + 1/R3
but there are two variables (Req and R3) so I'm not sure how to use that. Also, there's no voltage provided so I'm a bit confused as how to go from here. Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see that the resistors are in parallel, meaning voltage across each resistor is equal to the battery voltage.
Aleena753 said:
current from the power supply is 250 mA
Aleena753 said:
and the current through R3 is 54 mA,
Could you calculate voltage of the battery from this information?
Hint: Ohm's law and resistances in parallel.

Last edited:
Likes Aleena753
I had an idea for finding the solution. I was thinking that I could find the total V and then divide it by the total current to find Req and then use that Req in the parallel circuit formula (1/Req= 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3) to find R3. As for the total voltage of the battery, I know to use V=IR but I'm not sure which numbers to use, since the current of the two known resistors is unknown.

Aleena753 said:
since the current of the two known resistors is unknown.
Well, you can combine the two known resistances by finding their equivalent resistance. You can then calculate current through the equivalent resistance and apply Ohm's law.

So the current for the equivalent resistance of R1 and R2 would be the total current of the circuit with the current of the third resistor subtracted right?

Aleena753 said:
So the current for the equivalent resistance of R1 and R2 would be the total current of the circuit with the current of the third resistor subtracted right?
Right.

I had an idea for finding the solution. I was thinking that I could find the total V and then divide it by the total current to find Req and then use that Req in the parallel circuit formula (1/Req= 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3) to find R3. As for the total voltage of the battery, I know to use V=IR but I'm not sure which numbers to use, since the current of the two known resistors is unknown.[/QUOTE]
cnh1995 said:
You can see that the resistors are in parallel, meaning voltage across each resistor is equal to the battery voltage.Could you calculate voltage of the battery from this information?
Hint: Ohm's law and resistances in parallel.
cnh1995 said:
Right.
So I found the voltage and then divided it by the third current (54mA) to find the resistance of the third resistor. I currently have what I believe is the right answer of 333 ohms.

Aleena753 said:
I currently have what I believe is the right answer of 333 ohms.
I'm getting 334.something ohms. But your method is correct.

cnh1995 said:
I'm getting 334.something ohms. But your method is correct.
Alright thank you for your help : )

1. How do I determine the value of a missing resistor?

The value of a missing resistor can be determined through Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I), or R = V/I. By measuring the voltage and current in the circuit where the resistor is missing, you can calculate the value of the missing resistor.

2. Can I use a multimeter to find a missing resistor?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to find a missing resistor by measuring the voltage and current in the circuit. The multimeter can also be set to measure resistance directly, which can help determine the value of the missing resistor.

3. What tools do I need to find a missing resistor?

In addition to a multimeter, you may also need a power supply, wires, and a breadboard to create the circuit where the resistor is missing. You may also need a calculator to perform the necessary calculations.

4. What if the missing resistor is not in a circuit, but loose?

If the missing resistor is not in a circuit, you can still determine its value using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to measure resistance and touch the probes to each end of the resistor to get a reading. This will give you the value of the missing resistor.

5. How can I find a missing resistor in a complex circuit?

Finding a missing resistor in a complex circuit may require more advanced techniques such as Kirchoff's Laws or the use of a circuit simulator software. It may also be helpful to have a schematic diagram of the circuit to assist in identifying the location of the missing resistor.