1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a partial derivative

1. Aug 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given f(x, y, z) = 0, find the formula for

[tex]
    (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})_z
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Given a function f(x, y, z), the differential of f is
    [tex]
    df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}dz
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

We know that f(x, y, z) = 0 so using above, I get
    [tex]
    df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}dz
    = 0
    [/tex]

We also know that we are finding the partial with constant z so I set dz = 0. I then divided by dx throughout and solve for [itex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} [/itex].

My final answer is
    [tex]
    (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})_z = -\frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} }{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} }
    [/tex]

I just wanted to confirm that I'm doing things correctly in finding this partial derivative.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

You are right.
    I am just a little bit puzzled about the notations.
    How to you switch from the ratio dy/dx to the partial derivative.
    This should maybe be explained more explicitly.

4. Aug 2, 2014 #3
    Hey, thanks for the quick response!

That is a good point about the notation. Do you have any ideas on this? I don't have any good mathematical sense as to why I changed it from dy/dx to a partial derivative.

5. Aug 2, 2014 #4
    You are correct. As was alluded to in your other recent thread on a similar problem, a rigorous mathematical justification is the implicit function theorem. You write ##y = y(x,z)##, provided ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \neq 0## and then differentiate both sides of ##f(x,y,z) = 0## with respect to ##x##.

6. Aug 2, 2014 #5
    Although, I suppose if you're given f(x, y, z) = 0, then the equation can be solved for y in terms of x and z in which case the partial derivative notation makes sense. Is that a reasonable explanation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted