1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a plane

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the plane which contains the line:

(x,y,z) = (3,3,-3) + t(0,-3,-3)

and is parallel to the line:

(x,y,z) = (4,2,0) + t (3,-2,1)

Write your answer in the form 2 x + B y + C z = D, and give the values of B, C and D as your answer

2. Relevant equations
    Cross Product
    (x-x0, y-y0, z-z0) . (a, b, c) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

So I need a point and a normal to determine the equation of the plane. Point: (3,3,-3). The normal I found was the cross product of (0,-3,-3) and (3,-2,1) = (-9,9,-9).
    I then used the equation (x-x0, y-y0, z-z0) . (a, b, c) = 0 and got -9x+9y-9z=27.
    Then i multiplied it by -2/9 since the answer needed to start with 2x, I get 2x-2y+2z=-6
    but its wrong..

So any help would be appreciated!
    Thank You!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    i don't konw whether you did a mistake or me, when finding the normal vector on your plane because i got (-9,-9,9)

and for the final answer i'm getting x+y-z=9. what's the answer on yor book/notes?
    look you might be getting a parallel plane, depending on what point you chose.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    I think your right. So was your finally answer 2x+2y-2z=18?

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4
    yes, i got x+y-z=9, which is a parallel plane with yours.

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5
    Nice! Thanks sutupidmath!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook