1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a point midway between two electric charges

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two point charges of magnitude 2nC and -4nC are separated by 35 cm. The Coulomb constant is 8.98755e9 Newtons (Meters squared/ Coulombs squared). What is the potential difference between a point infinitely far away and a point midway between the charges?

R= .175

2. Relevant equations

E = Kc (q/r^2)

Magnitude of electric field = Coulomb's Constant (value of the charge/ Distance squared)

Delta V = Kc (q/r)

Potential difference = Coulomb's Constant (value of the point charge)/ (distance to the point charge)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried running the two separate charges into the first formula (E1= 587, E2= -1174), then added them together, then ran the second formula with the difference of the first two (1761) and ended up with (9.04e13).

Call me crazy, but isn't that quite a bit of voltage for such a tiny amount of charges? Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted