1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a position vector

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    Finding a position vector....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spaceship is traveling with acceleration a(t)=<e^(t) , t , sin2t>. At t=0, the spaceship was a origin r(0)=<0,0,0> and had an initial velocity of v(0)=<1,0,0> Find the position of the ship at t=pi

2. Relevant equations

uhhh...

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured I'd work backwards with the acceleration vector given to find the velocity and position vectors, then put the t=pi into the position vector I find.

So, v(t)=<e^(t) , (1/2)t^(2) , -(1/2)cos(2t)>
    Then r(t)=<e^(t), (1/6)t^(3) , -(1/4)sin(2t)>

But this doesn't seem right to me because when I put in the given t=0 into my v(t), I get <1,0,-(1/2)> not the <1,0,0> like the problem says. I'm approaching this problem wrong, aren't I?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
    Re: Finding a position vector....

No, you are doing fairly well. What would happen if you added a constant to the velocity?

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3
    Re: Finding a position vector....

Okay, I have it figured out.

v(t)=<e^(t) , (1/2)t^2 , (-1/2)cos(2t)+(1/2)> So that V(0)=<1,0,0>

Then, I find r(t) which is equal to <e^(t)-1 , (1/6)t^3 , (-1/4)sin(2t)+(1/2)t> So that r(0)=<0,0,0>

Then I plug in pi into my r(t) which comes out to be r(pi)=<e^(pi)-1 , (1/6)pi^3 , (pi/2)> Please tell me this is right. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook