1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a potential function

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screenshot2012-05-30at23129AM.png

When they say therefore g is a function of z alone, I don't understand why.

Also when they integrate the second to the last equation with respect to y, I just want to make sure that the y's in bold cancel, that they're really there in the actual answer

1/y * xzy + e^x cos y

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It says:
    "We write the constant of integration as a function of y and z because its value may change if y and z change."​
    Then they take ∂f/∂y and find that ∂g/∂y =0 . That means that in this case, g does not change if y changes.

Therefore, g is not a function of y.

Taking ∂f/∂z will give you g as a function of z, if indeed it is a function of z. So I suppose that technically, until you do this step, you can't say that g is actually a function of z. Added in Edit: Well, at this point they've changed the name of g(y,z) to h(z) .

4. May 30, 2012 #3
    They never integrated with respect to y.

5. May 30, 2012 #4
    As far as I can tell I don't even see what dg/dy refers to, so I can't tell if it is zero or something else. How do you know dg/dy = 0

I can type greek letters with this computer, even when I click on the quick symbols.

6. May 30, 2012 #5

Why not? Were they supposed to?

7. May 30, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation
    [itex]\displaystyle -e^x\sin(y)+xz+\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}=xz-e^x\sin(y)[/itex]​
    should tell you that ∂g/∂y =0 .

8. May 30, 2012 #7

Do you agree that [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=xz-e^x\sin y[/itex]?

Do you agree that [itex]f(x,y,z)=e^x\cos y+xyz+g(y,z)[/itex]?

Please take the partial of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]y[/itex] using the last equation.

Relate the two equations to conclude that [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}g(y,z)=0[/itex].

Let us know if this does not clear things up.

(Is it necessary to integrate in [itex]y[/itex] to solve the problem?)

9. May 30, 2012 #8
    As far as I can tell dg/dy will always be zero because there is no g anywhere in the problem because the problem starts out with x y z. I don't get what's going on with dg

10. May 30, 2012 #9
    I will try to suggest where [itex]g(y,z)[/itex] came from.

Do you agree that [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=e^x\cos y+yz[/itex]?

If so, use integration to find [itex]f(x,y,z)[/itex].

11. May 30, 2012 #10

12. May 30, 2012 #11
    I'm not sure why you think the variables x,y,z imply that g has some properties.

13. May 30, 2012 #12
    Well, why g? And is there any circumstance when the partial of g with respect to y would not be zero?

14. May 30, 2012 #13
    We have g because something is missing, and we call it g. Yes, it's partial is not always zero.

15. May 30, 2012 #14
    Have you found f yet? Also, try ingtegrating N and P in y and z respectively. That may shed some light on what's going on.

16. May 30, 2012 #15

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, Now I think we see where you are having difficulty is understanding.

The textbook solution points-out why there is a g(y.z) --- It's the "constant" of integration, but it's only constant in regards to x, not y or z, because your integration is W.R.T. x, treating y and z as if they were constants.

17. May 30, 2012 #16
    I've given up on this problem. The book only had about 7 problems on these, and I understood about 5 of them, so that's enough to move on.

18. May 30, 2012 #17

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's try the method you used in your more recent thread:
    finding a potential function pt 2

You had the partials of f(x,y,z) W.R.T. the variables, from the vector field components.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=e^x\cos(y)+yz
    \quad\to\quad
    f(x,\,y,\,z)=e^x\cos(y)+xyz+\text{Some term not containing }x\text{ but including the constant, }C[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=xz-e^x\sin(y)
    \quad\to\quad
    f(x,\,y,\,z)=xyz+e^x\cos(y)+\text{Some term not containing }y\text{ but including the constant, }C[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}=xy+z
    \quad\to\quad
    f(x,\,y,\,z)=xyz+\frac{z^2}{2}+\text{Some term not containing }z\text{ but including the constant, }C[/itex]

So by inspection we have that [itex]\displaystyle f(x,\,y,\,z)=e^x\cos(y)+xyz+\frac{z^2}{2}+C\ .[/itex]

I hope that makes more sense to you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook