1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding a recursion relation

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just have a problem with series solutions when I get to the point of needing to find the recursion relation........and a few other problems.

2. Relevant equations

Assume y can be written ∑anxn

3. The attempt at a solution

So, on y'' + xy' + 2y = 0, I got to the point of

an+2=-an/(n+1). I wrote out a few n's but still can't figure out exactly what the relation is. A little help, maybe?

On another problem, (1+x2)y'' - 4xy' + 6y = 0, I got the point of

2a2 + 6a3x - 4a1x + 6a0 + 6a1x + [n=2 to ∞]∑( (n+1)(n+2)an+2 + (n-1)nan - 4nan + 6an)xn = 0.

Now what? Detailed help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Jamin2112! :smile:
    Hint: 7*5*3*1 = 7*6*5*4*3*2*1/(23*3*2*1) :wink:
    General method is to have onen=1(…)xn or ∑n=2(…)xn (whichever seems to work), from which you get a general recursion relation for an for n ≥ 1 (or n ≥ 2 or whichever), together with some stray terms that don't fit inside the ∑, and which give you the initial terms. :smile:

4. May 7, 2010 #3
    So the stray terms are the initial conditions. They get set to zero, along with everything inside the sigma, right?

5. May 7, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook