1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a solution

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    Show that the equation xe^x = 1 has a solution between 0<x<1.

Well for this I simply changed to x = 1/e^x

Iterated starting with x=1, and got 0.567

Is that the right way to go about this problem?

Then it asks, prove that the solution is unique, which I guess means there is no other solution for the equation but 0.567.

How would I go about this part?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    Ok perhaps wrong, another way:

There is a solution where x0 is an element of [0,1]

where f(x) = xe^x - 1

f(0) = -1 < 0 < e^1 - 1 = f(1)

By the intermediate value theroem there exists an x0 in the interval with f(x0) = 0.
    Correct?

Still unsure on the second part, think it uses Rolle's theorem.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    Think I have it:

For a,b in the interval, where a is not equal to b, then f(a) can not be equal to f(b) if x0 is unique.

Then suppose f(a) does equal f(b), apply Rolles theorem:

=> there is an x0 in the interval where f'(x0) = 0

But f'(x) = xe^x + e^x which can never be equal to zero since it is always positive for our interval [0,1] and all positive values of x, which is a contradiction.

Now is the question asking me if the result is unique in the interval or for all x?

Edit: So f'(x) is always posive for [-1,inf). Am i supposed to show the lim x-> -inf or something?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

yes, what you have done is perfectly good.

6. Nov 24, 2008 #5
    Is there a way to show that the solution is unique for all x? i can graph it and see it is, it's monotonic for [-1,inf), do i have to show for all (-inf,-1) that f(x) is always negative?

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since you have shown that f(0) = -1, f(1) > 0, and f'(x) > for x in [0, 1], so f(x) = 0 for only a single value. A function whose derivative is positive on an interval can't cross the x-axis more than once on that interval.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?