1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a solution?

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1
    Finding a solution??

Find all solutions to

y'= 3y + 15

and solve the initial value problem-
    y(0)= -1

so would it be y= 3/2x^2 + 15y + C?????

if not please share what would it be!!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2
    This should be in Calculus and Analysis. (sorry, I'm not sure about your quesiton.)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  4. Sep 25, 2004 #3
    This problem is easily solved by seperation of variables (which I see you did). However, I'm pretty sure you meant 3/2y^2. if y(0) = -1, what does that tell you about the value of C?
  5. Sep 25, 2004 #4
    Ofcourse! It's been too long...
  6. Sep 25, 2004 #5
    This is a first order linear differential equation. It will be instructive to write this equation as [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 3y + 15[/tex]. Because the right side contains [tex]y(x)[/tex] you can't directly integrate the equation as it looks like you tried to do. Instead you can write it so all the [tex]y[/tex] stuff is on the left and all the [tex]x[/tex] is on the right: [tex]\frac{dy}{3y + 15} = dx[/tex]. NOW we can integrate both sides to get [tex]\int_{-1}^{y}\frac{dy}{3y + 15} = \int_{0}^{x}dx[/tex]. Notice that I've already included the initial condition that [tex]y = -1[/tex] when [tex]x=0[/tex] in my limits of integration. It is now a simple matter of integrating the left side and then solving for [tex]y(x)[/tex]. The answer I got was [tex]y(x) = 4e^{3x}-5[/tex].
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?