1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding A Tangent Line(s)

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    Find equations of the tangent lines to the graph of [itex]f(x)=\frac{x}{x-1}[/itex] that pass through the point [itex](-1, 5)[/itex].

Well, first I took the derivative, and afterwards, I made the connection that the derivative was a slope at any instant on the graph. By this, I inferred that [itex]f'(x) = m[/itex]. I knew that the given point was not on the graph, so I had to find a point on the graph that had the same slope at that point, and also had to pass through the point [itex](-1, 5)[/itex]. So, I calculated the slope to be [itex]m = \frac{y - 5}{x + 1}[/itex]; and so, I set this equal to the derivative, and by doing this I had a system of two equations--those being the derivative and the original function.

But what followed was great dismay: I found that when I substituted in for y and solved for x, I procured imaginary solutions. I rather thought I was going on a course of brilliance. What did I do wrong?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take your equation for the slope, [itex]\displaystyle m = \frac{y - 5}{x + 1}[/itex] and substitute [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x}{x-1}[/itex] in for y, and whatever expression you have for [itex]f'(x)[/itex] in for m . Solve for x to find what location(s) on the graph give the second point for each line.

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't say what you got for the derivative of the curve so it's impossible to tell what, if anything, you did wrong. When I do essentially what you said, I get a quadratic equation for the x coordinate of the point of tangency but it has real roots.

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4
    For my derivative, I get [itex]f'(x) = \frac{-1}{(x-1)^2}[/itex]

6. Jun 7, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good !

7. Jun 8, 2012 #6
    Well, I repeated the process of substituting the the equation [itex]m = \frac{y - 5}{x + 1}[/itex] in for [itex]f'(x)[/itex], which gave [itex]\frac{y - 5}{x + 1} = \frac{-1}{(x - 1)^2}[/itex]. Solving for y gave me [itex]y = \frac{-(x + 1)}{(x - 1)^2} + 5[/itex]. Finally I substituted this into my original function, [itex]\frac{-(x + 1)}{(x - 1)^2} + 5 = \frac{x}{x - 1}[/itex], and solved for x, which gave me [itex]x = \pm2[/itex]. These aren't the correct solutions, though; when I went to graph the function and the two tangents lines, one of them clearly was not a tangent line.

I attached the graph with the supposed tangent lines.

Attached Files:

8. Jun 8, 2012 #7
    1. Take your derivative and plug in the x-coordinate you're looking for, this will give you the slope of the tangent (m) at that point x.

2. Use the point-slope formula to find the tangent line. y-y1=m(x-x1)

That's all there is to it. I don't know what the deal is with all that substitution and whatnot above, it seems like alot more work than necessary. Maybe I'm misreading something.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  9. Jun 8, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your solutions to [itex]\displaystyle \frac{-(x + 1)}{(x - 1)^2} + 5 = \frac{x}{x - 1}[/itex] again. x = 2 is correct. x = -2 is not.

10. Jun 9, 2012 #9
    The reason for those seemingly unnecessary steps is that the given coordinate is not a point on the graph of the original function. If you plug -1 into the original function, you'll get (-1, 1/2)

I got 1/2, would that happened to be the other correct solution?

11. Jun 9, 2012 #10
    Yep. 1/2 and 2 are correct :smile:

12. Jun 9, 2012 #11
    That was a very entertaining problem. Thank you everyone for your insight you so generously provided.

13. Jun 9, 2012 #12
    I see now, I did misread the problem.

14. Jun 9, 2012 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a graph from WolframAlpha:

attachment.php?attachmentid=48180&stc=1&d=1339282439.gif

Attached Files:

15. Jun 9, 2012 #14
    Thank you for the graph, but how were you able to graph multiple equations on one coordinate plane? I've only ever been able to do one at a time.

16. Jun 9, 2012 #15

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a link to WolframAlpha with the parameters I used.
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+x%2F%28x-1%29%2C-x%2B4%2C-4%28x-1%2F2%29-1

If you don't include the "plot" instruction, but just enter y=x/(x-1),y=-x+4,y=-4(x-1/2)-1, you get this: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%3Dx%2F%28x-1%29%2Cy%3D-x%2B4%2Cy%3D-4%28x-1%2F2%29-1

17. Jun 9, 2012 #16
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook