1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a tangent line.

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    I need to find the tangent line to the curve xe^Y+ye^x=1 at the point (0,1).
    I took the derivative and found to be:
    dy/dx=-(ye^x-e^y)/(xe^y+ye^x)

I set that equal to 0 so:
    0=-ye^x-e^y

I have tried using a natural log to get y on one side and x on the other, but so far no good. How can I separate the two variables, or was there a mistake in my derivative that I am just not catching?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Homework-type questions must be posted in the Homework & Coursework section.

4. May 6, 2014 #3

Mark44

Why?

You have dy/dx, so evaluate it at the point (0, 1) to get the slope of the tangent line at that point.

5. May 7, 2014 #4
    Well I end up having y=-x+lny, and unless I am mistaken I cannot get an equation for the tangent line with that equation. I can find the slope, but I can't really find y=mx+b using that, can I?

6. May 7, 2014 #5
    Never mind, I figured it out. I have to take the natural log of the equation first and then find the derivative.

7. May 7, 2014 #6

Mark44

You have an expression for dy/dx in post 1. All you need to do to find the slope of the tangent line at the point (0, 1) is to substitute 0 for x and 1 for 1 in what you have for dy/dx. When you have the slope of a line and a point on the line, it's not hard to find the equation of the line.

Why? You already found the derivative in post 1 (assuming that your work was correct - I didn't check it).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted