1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a trigonometric limit

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    This is from Thomas' Calculus Early Trancendentals, Media Upgrade, page 108, #27:

The limit as x approaches 0 of (x csc(2x))/cos(5x)

The answer is 1/2, which graphing confirms, but hell if I know how to get rid of the 5x and still come up with 1/2. It is boggling my mind. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

csc(2x)=1/sin(2x)

if I remember correctly

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{sinx} =1[/tex]

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    Yes, that much I know. The problem I have is with the cos(5x). How does one deal with that and come up with 1/2 as the final answer?

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    Re-arrange then use L'Hopital

[tex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{x\csc(2x)}{\cos(5x)} [/tex]

[tex]= \displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{x\csc(2x)}{1} [/tex]

[tex]= \displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{x}{\sin(2x)} \to \frac{0}{0}[/tex]

[tex] = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{1}{2\cos(2x)} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    Well, we haven't covered L'Hopital yet. Also, the denominator is cos(5x), not 5x.

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6
    You need to rewrite the limit to use other limits that you know, such as sinx/x

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x\csc2x}{\cos5x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} (x\csc2x * \frac{1}{\cos5x}) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{\sin2x} * \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\cos5x}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{2} \frac{2x}{\sin2x} * \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\cos5x} = \frac{1}{2} \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\frac{\sin2x}{2x}} * \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\cos5x}[/tex]

For [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{sin2x}{2x}[/tex]

let k = 2x. Since 2x goes to 0 as k goes to 0,

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin2x}{2x} = \lim_{k \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin k}{k}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  8. Sep 20, 2009 #7
    I made a typo in latex, if it were 5x then we'd be in trouble.

L'Hopital

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

if f(a)=g(a)=0 (or infinity)

[tex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{f(a)+(x-a)f'(a)+\frac{1}{2!}(x-a)^2g''(a)\cdots}{g(a)+(x-a)g'(a)+\frac{1}{2!}(x-a)^2g''(a)+\cdots}=\frac{(x-a)f'(a)+\frac{1}{2!}(x-a)^2g''(a)\cdots}{(x-a)g'(a)+\frac{1}{2!}(x-a)^2g''(a)+\cdots}=\frac{f'(a)+(x-a)g''(a)\cdots}{g'(a)+(x-a)g''(a)+\cdots}=\frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

f(a) and g(a) disappear and can divide top and bottom by 1/2(x-a).

example

[tex] \displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\sin (x)}{x} [/tex]

Top and bottom tend to 0, so,

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\sin (x)}{x} =\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\cos (x)}{1} = 1 [/tex]

9. Sep 20, 2009 #8
    I've read in my calc book and elsewhere that you shouldn't use L'Hopital's rule with sinx/x since that limit is used in proofs to find the derivative of sine. Circular reasoning...

10. Sep 20, 2009 #9
    Thanks, Bohrok, that's exactly what I needed to set my brain straight.

Perhaps if I would have remembered that the cosine of zero is one, I wouldn't have been in such a pickle. Hah.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook