1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a unit vector.

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    Find the unit vector that makes an angle θ=-3∏/4 with the positive x-axis

I know to find a unit vector you divide the given vector by its magnitude, so I guess my problem is finding any vector that makes that angle with the positive x axis. I figured if that angle was the slope of a line, then when x=1, y=-3∏/4. So I divided the vector <1,-3∏/4> by its magnitude and got the wrong answer. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Well, first, y is not 3pi/4. Remember your equation for slope: tan(theta) = y/x. What's tan(theta) in this case? That'll give you y/x = c for some c, and you can use THAT to get a vector.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A unit vector that makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the positive x-axis is [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex]. I thought everyone knew tha!

"I figured if that angle was the slope of a line"
    No, the tangent of the angle is the slope of the line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook