1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Wave Function

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    On My Last Straw Trying to Find a Wave Function

I am horribly confused as how to I can actually find a wave function for any given problem. The specific wave function I am trying to find right now is that of a neutron passing through a double slit apparatus. Here is how I have the problem set up thus far:

d= spacing between slits= 1.00 x 10^-3 m (or 1.oo mm)
    L= distance between slit apparatus and the detector array = 10.0 m
    y= distance on detector array from major maximum (the one in the middle)
    m= # of high intensity bands away from middle with the middle one at m=0
    v= velocity of the neutron = .400 m/s
    w= mass of neutron= 1.67 x 10^-27 kg
    h=Planck's constant = 6.63 x 10^-34 Js

I know that the wave function should demonstrate where the destructive interference is going on by being zero when y=(m+.5)(hL/vwd). It should also show the bright spots as maximums and minimums at y=(mhL)/(vwd). I figured that since wave functions are a lot like amplitude functions, this will be a cosine function. My best guess is ... what's that pitchfork sign? ... anyway, that the wave function equals cos(2(pi)ywv/h). Sorry, I don't know how to put a pi in the equation. :uhh:
    This cosine function maxes at y=0, which is good; that is what the interference pattern does. But a lot of trig functions could do that, and I cannot justify why mine is a good one. Is it a wave function that describes this neutron? If it is, why? If not, how do I find a function that does?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted