1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Acceleration in Atwood's Machine

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    Edit: Today I was shown how to break this down into multiple free-body diagrams, and introduced to Cramer's Rule. I'm in the process of reattempting this problem. Once I have a solution (and it's verified as correct) I will post it for others having similar trouble.

I'm having a terrible time with this. It's my first assignment from a non-"plug the numbers into the formula for the right answer" physics class. I don't even know if I'm on the right track, and I feel like I'm over-complicating things. Any help is greatly appreciated. Please forgive my horrible handwriting, improper/incorrect notation, flubbed math, and general butchery of physics. (Edit - I also just realized in my second free body diagram I have the acceleration of 2m written as just the acceleration of m. Not that those diagrams are done well/correctly otherwise...)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://usera.imagecave.com/hotrod73dart/homework/3.29.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Edit: Will post solution once it's verified.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted