What is the Acceleration of a Dropped Shell?

In summary, the problem involves a glaucous-winged gull dropping a shell from a height of 11.5m above the ground while ascending at a constant speed of 5.10 m/s. The magnitude of the shell's acceleration just after it is released can be found using the equation v^2 = v(i) + 2a (x-x(0)). Using this equation, the answer is 1.13 m/s^2. However, the maximum height of the shell cannot be found using this equation because it does not involve time. Instead, the constant acceleration formula should be used to find the maximum height.
Brit412

Homework Statement

A glaucous-winged gull, ascending straight upward at 5.10 m/s drops a shell when it is 11.5m above the ground. What is the magnitude of the shell's acceleration just after it is released?

Homework Equations

The only equation that I can think of would be v^2= v(i) + 2a (x-x(0)) because I have no time value

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this equation I got an answer of 1.13 m/s^2, but on my hw, it claims it's incorrect. So help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like one of those questions where the book is trying to trick you into thinking the problem needs more work than is necessary.

Before the bird let's go of the shell it has zero acceleration since it is moving up at a constant speed with the bird. When the bird let's go of the shell it enters free fall. That should give you your answer.

Thanks, you were right. But question, how am I supposed to find the maximum height? Apparently it's not 11.5m, so how would I start approaching the problem?

Use the constant acceleration formulas. In fact there is one formula that relates all the variables you have to part of the answer you are looking for; it doesn't involve time.

Last edited:

1. What is the acceleration of a gull?

The acceleration of a gull is the rate at which its velocity changes over time. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you find the acceleration of a gull?

To find the acceleration of a gull, you need to measure its initial and final velocities and the time it took for the change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a gull?

The acceleration of a gull can be affected by factors such as wind speed, air resistance, and the gull's body size and weight. These factors can either increase or decrease the gull's acceleration.

4. Can the acceleration of a gull change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of a gull can change over time. It can either increase or decrease depending on external factors such as wind speed and air resistance, as well as the gull's own behavior and movements.

5. Why is it important to measure the acceleration of a gull?

Measuring the acceleration of a gull can provide valuable information about its flight patterns, behavior, and overall health. It can also help scientists understand the impact of external factors on gulls and their ability to adapt to changing environments.