Finding Accel. of Particle: t1=2s t2=5s | Mean Accel.

In summary: Yes, that will give you the position from the starting point (where t = 0, presumably).Careful! What's the definition of average...average acceleration?average acceleration is the average of the two values given.
JaySean
1. Not sure if it's the right forum but I'll try. The velocity of an particle varies quadratic with a formula based on time

a) Find the equation for acceleration and length as a function of time.

b) a = 3 m/s^3 (I think it's alpha)
Find the acceleration when t1=2s t2=5s and how big is the mean acceleration in the time intervall t2-t1.

2. See picture3. a) I think you can use the formula
aa18f61b4e7c9b1afebb4a98a91f0456.png
saying u=0 (start velocity) and say a=(v-u)/t
And do the same for
cae80dc5147530bb7bddfa350e2e7b53.png
where s= length. But is it that easy or are they looking for a different solution, as this is something I learned few years ago. Or do I have to antiderivate it, which would make it complicated because there is no known fact.

b) If a) is right could I then say solve v(t) which gives me t=3 alpha= 3 --> v(t)=27 m/s, and then get acceleration by the 2nd formula
aa18f61b4e7c9b1afebb4a98a91f0456.png
v= 27 u=0 t=3, so acceleration is 9? Or am I on the wrong way?

Attachments

• Physic.PNG
    Physic.PNG
    1,018 bytes · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
JaySean said:
The velocity of an particle varies quadratic with a formula based on time
That's a bit vague. Is any additional information given? Such as velocity at time 0.

JaySean said:
I think you can use the formula
hp?image=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fmath%2Fa%2Fa%2F1%2Faa18f61b4e7c9b1afebb4a98a91f0456.png
saying u=0 (start velocity) and say a=(v-u)/t
Careful! Those formulas are for constant acceleration, which is not what you have here. (Note how the velocity is linear with time, not quadratic, in the formula.)

Hint: Calculus made be involved.

Doc Al said:
That's a bit vague. Is any additional information given? Such as velocity at time 0.Careful! Those formulas are for constant acceleration, which is not what you have here. (Note how the velocity is linear with time, not quadratic, in the formula.)

Hint: Calculus made be involved.

There is no additional information, but the formula (picture).

Do you have any hint to how I get started on solving b)?

JaySean said:
There is no additional information, but the formula (picture).
Ah, I see it now. ##v(t) = 1/2 \alpha t^2##.

JaySean said:
Do you have any hint to how I get started on solving b)?
First solve part a).

Do I have to solve it as differintial equation? As I'm not allowed to use the formula for constant accerlation?

I know I can derivate v'(t) to get a(t)= at where a= alpha, but how do get to the length formula?

Last edited:
JaySean said:
Do I have to solve it as differintial equation?
You'll have to use a bit of calculus. (How do distance, velocity, and acceleration relate to each other?)

JaySean said:
As I'm not allowed to use the formula for constant accerlation?
That's correct. You cannot use the standard constant acceleration formulas here.

I know that the distance particle traveled is s(t)= antiderivative of v(t), but wouldn't I need additional information to find the constant?

Edit: Already found the formula for acceleration a(t)= qt where q is a constant

JaySean said:
I know that the distance particle traveled is s(t)= antiderivative of v(t), but wouldn't I need additional information to find the constant?
Not to find the distance traveled over a given time interval. That is the difference between two lengths

JaySean said:
To express the position, you'd need additional info. But for the distance traveled, you can just set s(t=0) = 0.

JaySean said:
Good. (That constant is given as ##\alpha##.)

Doc Al said:
To express the position, you'd need additional info. But for the distance traveled, you can just set s(t=0) = 0.Good. (That constant is given as ##\alpha##.)

(I didn't know how to write alpha so I just called it q)
So the formula for poisition as a function of time is S(t)=0 when t=0?

and for b) since a(t)=qt where q=3 m/s^3 for t1= 2s and t2=5s
a(2)=6 m/s^2 and a(5)=15 m/s^2
mean accleration= 11/3 m/s^2

JaySean said:
(I didn't know how to write alpha so I just called it q)
So the formula for poisition as a function of time is S(t)=0 when t=0?
Yes, that will give you the position from the starting point (where t = 0, presumably).

JaySean said:
and for b) since a(t)=qt where q=3 m/s^3 for t1= 2s and t2=5s
a(2)=6 m/s^2 and a(5)=15 m/s^2
Good.

JaySean said:
mean accleration= 11/3 m/s^2
How did you calculate that?

Doc Al said:
How did you calculate that?

Sorry I meant 21/3 m/s^2 which is 7m/s^2
a(2)+a(5) =6+15=21
And t2-t1=5-2=3

JaySean said:
Sorry I meant 21/3 m/s^2 which is 7m/s^2
a(2)+a(5) =6+15=21
And t2-t1=5-2=3
Careful! What's the definition of average acceleration?

Doc Al said:
Careful! What's the definition of average acceleration?

Since I already know what alpha is and time is I might be able to use the general formula for acceleration knowing the velocity at beginning and end.
This gives me
vo=3*(2)^2=12
v1=3*(5)^2=75

acceleration= (75-12)/(5-2)=21

JaySean said:
Since I already know what alpha is and time is I might be able to use the general formula for acceleration knowing the velocity at beginning and end.
Good.

JaySean said:
This gives me
vo=3*(2)^2=12
v1=3*(5)^2=75
You left out the factor of 1/2.

Sorry this is stupid of me,
(37,5-6)/3 =10,5
v1-v0/delta(t)

I have another question not sure if anyone is able to answer:

Car with velocity 36 km/h colliding and stoping over a length of 1 meter (end velocity = 0). Find acceleration.
I have solved it the simple way using v^2 = u^2 + 2as and got the right answer.
Now my question is how do I set it up as an differential equation.

My attempt:
Since I know S(0)= 1 (saying start position is 1 and end is 0)
velocity start = 36km/h and end is 0
I also know that position is antiderivative of velocity
S(t)=∫36
S(t)= 36t+C

Attempt on finding constant c.
S(0)=36*0+C=1
C= 1
S(t)= 36t+1

JaySean said:
My attempt:
Since I know S(0)= 1 (saying start position is 1 and end is 0)
I would say that the start position is 0 and the end position is 1.

JaySean said:
I also know that position is antiderivative of velocity
S(t)=∫36
You cannot assume that the velocity is constant. (After all, you are told that it is stopping.)

All you'll do, by setting up a differential equation, is derive those kinematic formulas. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you start with the correct assumptions. Assume that the acceleration is constant, then you can integrate to get the position as a function of time.

Doc Al said:
All you'll do, by setting up a differential equation, is derive those kinematic formulas. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you start with the correct assumptions. Assume that the acceleration is constant, then you can integrate to get the position as a function of time.

Do you mean derivating for example the formula
v=v0+at?

JaySean said:
Do you mean derivating for example the formula
v=v0+at?
Yes. And, using a few tricks, all the others.

1. What is the formula for finding acceleration of a particle?

The formula for finding acceleration of a particle is a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. How do you find the mean acceleration of a particle?

To find the mean acceleration of a particle, you need to calculate the change in velocity (v2 - v1) and divide it by the time interval (t2 - t1). This will give you the average acceleration over the given time period.

3. What is the importance of finding the acceleration of a particle?

Finding the acceleration of a particle is important because it helps us understand the motion of an object. It allows us to determine how fast the velocity of an object is changing over time and in what direction.

4. How do you interpret a negative mean acceleration?

A negative mean acceleration indicates that the velocity of the particle is decreasing over time. This means that the particle is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

5. Can the acceleration of a particle change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of a particle can change over time. This can happen if there are external forces acting on the particle, such as friction or gravity, which can cause the particle's velocity to change. Additionally, the acceleration of a particle can also change if the initial and final velocities are different at different time intervals.