1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding all automorphisms of Z_10

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Hi, I am going over some things for an exam and I have a question about the automorphisms of Z10 ={0,1,2,3....9} addition mod 10. I know the criteria for an automorphism and I know that an automorphism sends a generator to a generator. So Z10 has generators 1,3,7,9 so the automorphisms of Z10 are defined by a(1)=1, a(1)=3, a(1)=7. a(1)=9. I know those are the only automorphisms because of the properties of an isomorphism. I also know that once we know where the generators get sent we can figure out where everything else goes. My question is what if I wanted to define an explicit function like f: mapping Z10 to Z10 f(x) = ??? where f is 1-1, onto and operation preserving. What could satisfy this? My book says its usually hard to figure out the function and they dont excpect us to define it but I want to know one so I can sleep better.
    Would f(x)=xmod10 work?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are 4 generators, g1 = 1, g2 = 3, g3 = 7, g4 = 9. You can define, for each i in {1,2,3,4} the function [itex]f_i : \mathbb{Z}_{10} \to \mathbb{Z}_{10}[/itex] by:

[tex]f_i(x) = x\cdot _{10}g_i[/tex]

where [itex]\cdot _{10}[/itex] denotes multiplication modulo 10. I can't see why you'd want to do this though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?