1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding all solutions of Ax = y

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone...First post here so be kind plz

In one of my assignments, I need to find all the solutions of the following system:

2 3 -5 1 x1 0
    1 3 -2 5 x2 = 1
    1 4 1 0 x3 0

A X = Y

I can easilly find the range space R{A}(Ind. Columns) and Null space N{A} (Ax =A~x= 0) using the echelon form of A. Since we have 3 leading entrys in A~ (Echelon), R{A} = R3, Dim(R{A}) = 3 thus Dim(N{a}) = 1 (single vector) which tells us that at least one solution is present. My problem is that I have no idea how to find that solution...I was thinking of taking the inverse of A and solving for A but since A is non-square...A is uninvertible.

I know that all the solution will have the following structure:

x = (the solution I cant find) + alpha(variable in R) * vector spanning N{A}

Please help me, Im really desperate!! I have an exam tomorow morning on this and I want to have a good grade ;)

thanks

Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Row-reduce the equation untill A is in row-echelon form.
    You can basically read the answer from that form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?