Finding all subsets of a list of positive integers using backtracking

In summary, the provided Python 3 code utilizes a backtracking algorithm to find all subsets of a given list of integers. The function 'backtrack' takes in the list, a starting index, and a current list as parameters and appends the current list to the answer list. It then loops through the list, recursively calling itself with an updated current list and index until all subsets are found. The 'subsets' function calls the backtrack function with a starting index of 0 and an empty current list, and returns the final answer list. By using print statements or an IDE's watch facility, one can better understand how the code works.
Andrew1235
The following Python 3 code is provided as the solution to this problem (https://leetcode.com/problems/subsets/solution/) that asks to find all subsets of a list of integers. For example, for the list below the output is [[], [1], [1, 2], [1, 2, 3], [1, 3], [2], [2, 3], [3]].

I am not familiar with backtracking. Can someone explain how the code works?

alist = [1,2,3]

ans = []

def backtrack(nums, start, curr):

ans.append(curr)

for i in range(start, len(nums)):

backtrack(nums, i+1, curr + [nums])

def subsets(nums):
backtrack(nums, 0, [])
return ans

print(subsets(alist))

Technology news on Phys.org
Andrew1235 said:
The following Python 3 code is provided as the solution to this problem (https://leetcode.com/problems/subsets/solution/) that asks to find all subsets of a list of integers. For example, for the list below the output is [[], [1], [1, 2], [1, 2, 3], [1, 3], [2], [2, 3], [3]].

Python:
alist = [1,2,3]

ans = []

ans.append(curr) 

backtrack(nums, i+1, curr + [nums[i]])

def subsets(nums):     
    backtrack(nums, 0, [])
    return ans

print(subsets(alist))
You need to put [code=python] before your code and [/code] afterwards if you want it to be readable.

Python:
alist = [1,2,3]
ans = []

ans.append(curr)     
        backtrack(nums, i+1, curr + [nums[i]])

def subsets(nums):     
    backtrack(nums, 0, [])
    return ans

print(subsets(alist))

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jim mcnamara
Andrew1235 said:
The best (only?) way to understand it is to work through it line by line. You can do this on paper, or by inserting print statements in the code, or by using the 'watch' facitilty of an IDE and stepping through the code.

What pbuk said. At the very least, adding
Python:
print("backtrack called with)
print(" nums =",nums)
print(" start =",start)
print(" curr =",curr)
to the beginning of the backtrack function will show you how it's working through the data. First run it with a two element list, then a three element list, etcetera.

1. How does backtracking work in finding all subsets of a list of positive integers?

In backtracking, we start by considering a subset with just one element, and then we add more elements to it one by one. As we add each element, we check if the subset satisfies our conditions. If it does, we add it to our list of subsets. If not, we remove the last added element and try a different one.

2. What is the time complexity of finding all subsets of a list of positive integers using backtracking?

The time complexity of backtracking in finding all subsets is O(2^n), where n is the number of elements in the original list. This is because for each element, we have two choices - either include it in the subset or not include it. Therefore, the total number of subsets can be as large as 2^n.

3. Can backtracking be used to find all subsets of a list with negative integers?

Yes, backtracking can be used to find all subsets of a list with negative integers. The algorithm remains the same, but we need to add an additional condition to check if the subset contains only positive integers.

4. What are the advantages of using backtracking to find all subsets of a list of positive integers?

One advantage of using backtracking is that it is a recursive approach, and it can be easily implemented using simple code. Additionally, it is a memory-efficient solution as it does not require storing all the subsets in memory at once.

5. Can backtracking be used to find all subsets of a list with duplicate elements?

Yes, backtracking can be used to find all subsets of a list with duplicate elements. However, we need to make sure that we do not include duplicate subsets in our final list. This can be achieved by sorting the original list and skipping duplicate elements while adding new elements to the subset.