1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding amplitude? SHM problem

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    Finding amplitude??? SHM problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 245 g mass attached to a horizontal spring oscillates at a frequency of 3.70 Hz. At t =0s, the mass is at x= 4.40 cm and has v_x = -25.0 cm/s.
    Determine:

2. Relevant equations
    I got the first two
    The Period= .27027 s
    The Angular Frequency= 23.248 rad/s
    The Amplitude=? m rounded to 5 sig figs
    The Phase Constant=? rad rounded to 5 sig figs

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the equation (x)t=Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex])
    and plugged in t=0 and .0440m for x(0) so the answer i got was .0440m but this is wrong. and i can't attempt the phase constant yet because i need the Amplitude for that. Any help is appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Re: Finding amplitude??? SHM problem

Yes you can. You're off to the right start, but you'll need another equation to determine the phase constant. Hint: there's another value you're given in the problem that you haven't used. What can you do with it?

4. Dec 14, 2009 #3
    Re: Finding amplitude??? SHM problem

I'm guessing that the velocity has something to do with it and maybe the other equation for velocity v(t)= -A[tex]\omega[/tex]sin([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex])??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook