Solve Amplitude for Guitar String Vibrating in Fundamental Mode

• Thread starter weathercheck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary, a guitar string is vibrating in its fundamental mode with nodes at each end and a free vibrating segment of 0.381 m. The maximum transverse acceleration at the middle of the segment is 8600 m/s^2 and the maximum transverse velocity is 3.50 m/s. The question is asking for the amplitude of the standing wave, which can be found by equating the first and second derivatives of the standing wave equation to the maximum velocity and acceleration, respectively. To differentiate the equation, use the chain rule with respect to time.
weathercheck

Homework Statement

A guitar string is vibrating in its fundamental mode, with nodes at each end. The length of the segment of the string that is free to vibrate is 0.381 m. The maximum transverse acceleration of a point at the middle of the segment is 8600 m/s^2 and the maximum transverse velocity is 3.50 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i thought i has calculated it correctly i got A= 10.35m

I used the fundamental F = v/2l threw that into a= Aw^2

This question is making me angry! can anyone help me out! ? cheers! ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question?

What is the amplitude of the standing wave?

Are you familiar with the equation of a standing wave? If you are, then you can differentiate it once and equate it to your maximum velocity, and then equate your maximum acceleration to the second derivative of the standing wave equation. You can then find A and w.

how do i go about differentiating the wave equation?

thanks

Differentiate with respect to t, using the chain rule.

can somebody please please, differentiate this for me as an example

(A.Sin(kx)).(sin(wt))

with respect to t, I'm losing my nut here! Feel so dumb

thanks a bunch

You can't find derivatives on your own?

What is amplitude?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a vibrating object from its rest position. It is a measure of the strength or intensity of a wave.

How is amplitude related to the fundamental mode of a guitar string?

In the fundamental mode of a guitar string, the amplitude is the maximum displacement of the string from its equilibrium position. This is the amplitude of the standing wave created by the string's vibration.

How can I solve for the amplitude of a guitar string vibrating in the fundamental mode?

The amplitude of a guitar string vibrating in the fundamental mode can be solved using the equation A = y_m - y_n, where A is the amplitude, y_m is the maximum displacement of the string, and y_n is the displacement of the string at its equilibrium position.

What factors can affect the amplitude of a guitar string vibrating in the fundamental mode?

The amplitude of a guitar string vibrating in the fundamental mode can be affected by the tension, length, and mass of the string, as well as the material and thickness of the string.

How does the amplitude of a guitar string vibrating in the fundamental mode affect the sound produced?

The amplitude of a guitar string vibrating in the fundamental mode affects the volume and intensity of the sound produced. A larger amplitude will result in a louder sound, while a smaller amplitude will result in a quieter sound. It can also affect the tone and quality of the sound produced.