1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an electric field from a scalar field

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    Say I know an electric field

E = (yz - 2x)x-hat + (xz)y-hat + (xy)z-hat

How do I find the scalar field that would produce that? If I integrate each part I get

Vx = xyz - x^2
    Vy = xyz
    Vz = xyz

Vt = 3xy - x^2

To find E, I would take E = gradient cross the scalar field, but that would clearly not work. What I am doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick any component you want and integrate. For instance, if you picked the x-component then your guess "answer" would look like [tex] V = xyz - x^2 + f(y,z), [/tex] where f is an arbitrary function of y and z. This is because you only know that the partial derivative of V with respect to x is equal to yz - 2x. To figure out what your function f is, make use of your information about the other two partial derivatives of V. Of course, V is still undefined up to a constant.

4. Nov 13, 2005 #3

lightgrav

Homework Helper

Each component of the E-Field is the (-) derivitive of the scalar potential with THAT coordinate , yes E is the (-) gradient .

Notice that d(x^2)/dy = 0 , so that E_y cannot give info about purely "x" terms in V, (or x and z terms, either). Similarly, E_x gives no info about purely y or z terms.

Don't add the xyz terms, just make sure they all agree.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  5. Nov 13, 2005 #4
    Im still fuzzy on how to obtain the unknown function. Can you further explain?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?