Finding an Equation of a Plane

• Thread starter major_maths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, to find the equation of a plane parallel to the given plane and going through a given point, use the normal of the given plane and the given point to form a vector in the new plane. Then take the dot product of this vector and the normal, and set it equal to zero. This will give you the equation of the new plane.
major_maths
1. Find an equation for the plane which goes through the point (2, 2, -1) and which is parallel to the plane 2x-3y+7z = 100.

2. x = x0+ta
y = y0+ta
z = z0+ta

3. First I found the parametric equations of a line parallel to the plane by using the vector
<2,-3,7> from the equation of the parallel plane and the point given:

x = 2+2t
y = 2-3t
z = -1+7t

And that's where I get lost. I think that I'm forgetting some equation, but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
major_maths said:
1. Find an equation for the plane which goes through the point (2, 2, -1) and which is parallel to the plane 2x-3y+7z = 100.

2. x = x0+ta
y = y0+ta
z = z0+ta

3. First I found the parametric equations of a line parallel to the plane by using the vector
<2,-3,7> from the equation of the parallel plane and the point given:

x = 2+2t
y = 2-3t
z = -1+7t

And that's where I get lost. I think that I'm forgetting some equation, but I'm not sure.
Since the plane you're looking for is parallel to the plane 2x-3y+7z = 100, both planes have the same normal, which is <2, -3, 7>.

If you know a point P0(x0, y0, z0) on a plane and its normal N = <a, b, c>, you can find the equation of the plane by using the fact that the dot product of any vector in the plane with the normal to the plane has to be zero.

If P(x, y, z) is any point in the plane, a vector in the plane is P0P = <x - x0, y - y0, z - z0).

Okay, so just to be clear, to get the vector in the plane I would take the dot product of <2, -3, 7> and a vector of variables, say <a ,b, c> and set it equal to 0. I would get a final equation of 2a-3b+7c = 0. And this would be the equation of a plane that goes through (2, 2, -1) and is parallel to the plane 2x-3y+7z = 100, correct?

major_maths said:
Okay, so just to be clear, to get the vector in the plane I would take the dot product of <2, -3, 7> and a vector of variables, say <a ,b, c> and set it equal to 0. I would get a final equation of 2a-3b+7c = 0. And this would be the equation of a plane that goes through (2, 2, -1) and is parallel to the plane 2x-3y+7z = 100, correct?
No.
Your vector <a, b, c> isn't in the plane. It extends from the origin to some point with coordinates (a, b, c).

Let P(x, y, z) be a point in your plane. The point P0(2, 2, -1) is in your plane. Form the vector from P0 to P, which is a vector in your plane. Take the dot product of the normal and the vector P0P, and set it to zero. That will give you the equation of the plane.

1. What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a flat surface in three-dimensional space. It is written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane from three points?

To find the equation of a plane from three points, you can use the point-normal form or the cross product method. In the point-normal form, you need to find the normal vector of the plane using the cross product of two vectors formed by the three points. Then, plug in one of the points and the normal vector into the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0 and solve for D. In the cross product method, you need to find two vectors formed by the three points and take their cross product. The resulting vector will be the coefficients A, B, and C in the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0.

3. Can you find the equation of a plane with only two points?

No, at least three points are needed to determine a unique plane in three-dimensional space. With only two points, there are infinitely many planes that can pass through them.

4. What is the normal vector and why is it important in finding the equation of a plane?

The normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. It is important in finding the equation of a plane because it determines the coefficients A, B, and C in the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0. The normal vector helps to define the orientation and position of the plane in three-dimensional space.

5. Can you find the equation of a plane if the points are not in a straight line?

Yes, as long as the three points are not collinear, you can find the equation of a plane that contains them. However, if the points are collinear, there will be no unique plane that passes through all three points.