1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an equation of motion

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From a height of 18 meters above ground, an object is thrown vertically upwards at a speed of 30m/s. Find the equation where height h depends on time t. Find the maximum height of the object.

2. Relevant equations

h=h0+v0t-(gt^2)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

The equation of motion of an object thrown vertically upwards is h=h0+v0t-(gt^2)/2
    By inserting h0=18 and v0=30 we get
    [itex]h=18+30t-(gt^2)/2[/itex], which is the correct answer. When t=3, h is max at 63.
    Now my problem here is that instead of finding the aforementioned equation of motion in a book, i was supposed to create it myself, using differential equation methods. How?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once the ball have been thrown up it has accelration -g, due to gravity. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity and velocity is the derivative of distance (height here).

So your differential equations problem is [itex]d^2h/dt^2= -g[/itex] with initial values h(0)= 18, h'(0)= v(0)= 30.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to start from using that the derivative of the velocity is equal to the acceleration. So v'(t)=(-g). Integrate both sides to get v(t). Determine the constant of integration. Then v(t)=h'(t), so integrate again to get h(t)

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4
    Thanks for helping me out :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted