Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an expression for x(t)

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    Suppose I have a particle on a line, and I know some function a(x) and the initial x, v, and a. How could I work out x(t)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2
    integrate!

v(t) = integral of a(t)dt + v(t=0)
    x(t) = integral of v(t)dt + x(t=0)

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    From what I understand your solution requires me to know a(t), but what can I do if I only know a(x)?

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4
    Ah, then you have:

x''(t) = f(x(t))

This is a 2nd order autonomous differential equation with a general solution, although if f is tricky then you might need a numerical integrator to solve it. The trick is to multiply through by 2x'(t) then factor the left side into ((x'(t))^2)'. Then you can find x(t) by integrating, taking the square root, and integrating again.

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5
    Thanks a lot!
    I think I've seen that method applied before to simple harmonic motion, I wish I made the connection earlier.

7. Mar 19, 2013 #6
    No problem. It caught me a little off guard as well!

8. Mar 19, 2013 #7

phyzguy

Science Advisor

If you only know a(x), you can use the following:
    [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dx} = a(x)[/tex]
    Then:
    [tex]\int v dv = \frac{v^2}{2}= \int a(x) dx[/tex]
    After integrating, this can be solved for v(x). Then:
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v(x)[/tex]
    [tex]\int dt = t = \int \frac{dx}{v(x)}[/tex]
    After integrating, this gives t(x), which can then be inverted to give x(t). This procedure can be complicated and mathematically difficult, but it will work, at least numerically.

9. Mar 19, 2013 #8
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for

10. Mar 19, 2013 #9

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[deleted]

I just repeated the same thing that phyzguy said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook