Finding an expression for x(t)

• Thread starter crimpedupcan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding the position and velocity of a particle on a line with known initial conditions and function a(x). The first method involves integrating to find the velocity and position, while the second method involves solving a 2nd order differential equation. Both methods require knowledge of either a(t) or a(x), and can be complicated and require numerical integration. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the same solution was previously mentioned.
crimpedupcan
Suppose I have a particle on a line, and I know some function a(x) and the initial x, v, and a. How could I work out x(t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
integrate!

v(t) = integral of a(t)dt + v(t=0)
x(t) = integral of v(t)dt + x(t=0)

Thanks for the reply.
From what I understand your solution requires me to know a(t), but what can I do if I only know a(x)?

Ah, then you have:

x''(t) = f(x(t))

This is a 2nd order autonomous differential equation with a general solution, although if f is tricky then you might need a numerical integrator to solve it. The trick is to multiply through by 2x'(t) then factor the left side into ((x'(t))^2)'. Then you can find x(t) by integrating, taking the square root, and integrating again.

Thanks a lot!
I think I've seen that method applied before to simple harmonic motion, I wish I made the connection earlier.

No problem. It caught me a little off guard as well!

If you only know a(x), you can use the following:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dx} = a(x)[/tex]
Then:
[tex]\int v dv = \frac{v^2}{2}= \int a(x) dx[/tex]
After integrating, this can be solved for v(x). Then:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v(x)[/tex]
[tex]\int dt = t = \int \frac{dx}{v(x)}[/tex]
After integrating, this gives t(x), which can then be inverted to give x(t). This procedure can be complicated and mathematically difficult, but it will work, at least numerically.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for

[deleted]

I just repeated the same thing that phyzguy said.

1. What is an expression for x(t)?

An expression for x(t) is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between time (t) and the position (x) of an object or system. It can be written in a variety of forms, such as a function, equation, or differential equation.

2. How do you find an expression for x(t)?

To find an expression for x(t), you will need to gather data on the position of the object or system at different points in time. This data can then be used to create a mathematical model, which can be simplified or manipulated to find an expression for x(t).

3. Why is finding an expression for x(t) important in science?

In science, finding an expression for x(t) allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also allows us to analyze data and make connections between different variables in a system.

4. Are there different methods for finding an expression for x(t)?

Yes, there are various methods for finding an expression for x(t) depending on the specific system or phenomenon being studied. Some common approaches include using calculus, creating a graph or chart, or using experimental data to create a mathematical model.

5. Can an expression for x(t) change over time?

Yes, an expression for x(t) can change over time if the system or phenomenon being studied is dynamic and affected by external factors. In this case, the expression may need to be updated or adjusted to accurately describe the changing behavior of the system.