Calculating Cone Properties: Height, Slant, Radius, and Volume in Terms of x

• Thread starter rachael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
You appear to be assuming that x is r, even when the problem says "find r in terms of x", but that is not given in your problem. So you are writing things in terms of something you are not given.
rachael
1.A cone where h= height of the cone
s= slant of the cone
r= radius of the cone

a.Find c,circumference of a cone in terms of x
b.find r, radius of the cone in terms of x
c. find an expression for the slant height of the cone in terms of x
d. find h, hieght of the cone in terms of x
e. find the volume of the curve in terms of x in the form of
V= (a-x)^2[(bx-x^2)^(1/2)]
-----------------------
c where a,b,c are positive
f find the domain of the function
g. find v'(x)

what i have done:
a. x=2pir
b. r=x
---
2pi
c. x=s
d. i don't know
e. i don't know
f. [0,2pi]
g.?

could someone please help me
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
its easy actually...draw a cone ...and then draw an imaginary circle along the contour of the cone ...and label its radius as r , and let it be at height of x from below... ...therefore height of the cone above this cricle will be [h-x] , so u get a smaller cone (upper one)... use pythagorus theorem , u can get the slant height of upper smaller cone using property of similar triangles...

Frankly, the problem doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You are given h and r but then asked to write things "in terms of x"?? What is x? You appear to be assuming that x is r, even when the problem says "find r in terms of x", but that is not given in your problem.

Assuming that x really is just r, then as Dr. Brain says- draw a picture. Looking at the cone from the side, it is an isosceles triangle height h and base 2r so each half is a right triangle with height h and base r. The slant height is the length of the hypotenuse so you can use the Pythagorean theorem.

But then I run into "d. find h, hieght of the cone in terms of x".
You are given two independent values, h and r. If x really is r, then there is no way to right h "as a function of x". Knowing r tells you nothing about h.

"e. find the volume of the curve in terms of x in the form of
V= (a-x)^2[(bx-x^2)^(1/2)]"

The volume of the curve? Do you mean volume of the cone? The volume of a cone depends on both the height, h, and the radius, r, and they are independent. The volume cannot be written as a function of a single variable unless there is some relation between r and h you haven't given here.

HallsofIvy said:
Frankly, the problem doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You are given h and r but then asked to write things "in terms of x"?? What is x? You appear to be assuming that x is r, even when the problem says "find r in terms of x", but that is not given in your problem.
HallsofIvy said:
"h" and "r" is just a label for the cone. Assuming the "h" and "r" is not there. Therefore we need to look for c and r in terms of x.

"e. find the volume of the curve in terms of x in the form of
V= (a-x)^2[(bx-x^2)^(1/2)]"

The volume of the curve? Do you mean volume of the cone? The volume of a cone depends on both the height, h, and the radius, r, and they are independent. The volume cannot be written as a function of a single variable unless there is some relation between r and h you haven't given here.

oops i meant cone

Did you understand anything I wrote? The problem, as you stated it, still doesn't make sense. If you were really told to express these things "in terms of x", what in the world is x??

What is the formula for calculating the height of a cone?

The height of a cone can be calculated using the formula h = √(r² + s²), where r is the radius of the base and s is the slant height of the cone.

How do you find the slant height of a cone?

The slant height of a cone can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, where s = √(h² + r²), where h is the height of the cone and r is the radius of the base.

What is the equation for finding the radius of a cone?

The radius of a cone can be calculated using the formula r = x/√(π), where x is the given volume of the cone.

How do you calculate the volume of a cone in terms of x?

The volume of a cone can be calculated using the formula V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone. In terms of x, the formula would be V = (1/3)x²/√(π), where x is the given value.

Can you use the same formula to calculate the properties of any cone?

Yes, the formulas for calculating the height, slant height, radius, and volume of a cone can be applied to any cone, regardless of its size or shape, as long as the given values are accurate and consistent.