Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding an expression

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With

[tex]f(x)=-\lgroup\frac{a}{2}-\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup\ln\lgroup\frac{a}{2}-\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup-\lgroup\frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup\ln\lgroup \frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup[/tex]

and

[tex]z=\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{1}{c}[/tex]

find an expression of x in terms of c.

2. Relevant equations
    Well, relevant should be that the answer is supposed to be

[tex]x=ab \tanh\lgroup\frac{b}{c}\rgroup[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Differentiating f wrt x, I get

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=-\frac{1}{2b}\lgroup \ln\lgroup\frac{a}{2}-\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup+\ln \lgroup\frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup+2\rgroup[/tex]

But this is no good, because when I exponentiate on both sides of the equation (in order to solve for x)

[tex]-\frac{2b}{c}-2=-2b\frac{df}{dx}-2[/tex]

I end up with a something like

[tex]x=2b\sqrt\lgroup -\exp(-2\frac{b}{c}-2)-(\frac{a}{2})^2\rgroup,[/tex]

which is obviously incorrect.

I'd be happy if someone would help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did you use the product rule when you differentiated? I didn't check your work very closely, but it doesn't seem that you did.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    I think I did. The derivative of

[tex]\lgroup\frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup\ln\lgroup \frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup[/tex]

is, according to my calculations,

[tex]\frac{1}{2b}\ln\lgroup \frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup+\lgroup\frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}\rgroup\frac{1}{\frac{a}{2}+\frac{x}{2b}}\frac{1}{2b}[/tex]

The second term reduces to 1/2b, which is broken out of the expression.

5. Oct 25, 2011 #4
    No one who has any suggestions? I'm pretty sure it's a pretty simple error :)

6. Oct 25, 2011 #5
    Ok, mr. Wolfram Alpha solved the problem for me (quite the dude, isn't he?).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook