Finding ODE for Family of Orthogonal Curves to Circle F

In summary: That is the differential equation satisfied by the curves orthogonal to the family of circles x^2+ y^2= c^2.In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the differential equation that is satisfied by the family of curves orthogonal to the family of circles in the xy-plane that are tangent to the y-axis at the origin. The speaker's strategy involves finding a function of two variables, f(x,y), for which the family of circles is its level curves, and then taking the gradient of f(x,y) to find the curves orthogonal to the family of circles. However, the speaker realizes that they should be looking for curves that are tangential to the gradient of f(x,y) instead of orthogonal to it. The
dumbQuestion

Homework Statement

Consider the family F of circles in the xy-plane (x-c)2+y2=c2 that are tangent to the y-axis at the origin. What is a differential equation that is satisfied by the family of curves orthogonal to F?

Homework Equations

∇f(x,y)=<fx,fy>

The Attempt at a Solution

My general strategy: I know that for a function of two variables, f(x,y), it's gradient ∇f(x,y) is orthogonal to every level curve of f(x,y) on the xy plane. So I first wanted to find a function of two variables, f(x,y) for which F is its level curves, then take ∇f because it would be orthogonal to all the curves in the family F.So I started as follows. I plug z in for c, then solve for z

(x-z)2+y2=z2
x2-2xz+z2+y2=z2
x2-2xz+y2=0
(x2+y2)/(2x) = z = f(x,y)

(Originally I just left z implicitally in the equation and when I took the gradient I did implicit partial differentiation. But it just seemed like this was simpler.)

So now I realize that the family of level curves for f(x,y) is F that we started with. Now, to find curves that are orthogonal to F, I take the gradient of f.

∇f(x,y)=<fx,fy> = <1/2-y2/2x2, y/x>Now I know that for a curve in the family of F, at any point on the curve, ∇f(x,y) specifies a vector that is orthogonal to the curve at that point. Now this is where I get hazy. I want to find now an ODE that will satisfy this. So what I thought was just going:

0=M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy where M(x,y) = fx, N(x,y) = fy (I thought of doing this because I felt, this would make an "exact" equation)

0 = (1/2-y2/2x2)dx + (y/x)dy

0 = dy/dx + (1/2-y2/2x2)/(y/x)

0 = dy/dx + (x2-y2)/2xy

dy/dx = (y2-x2)/2xyOK... now the weird part is that the answer in the book is the negative reciprocal of this... they say dy/dx = 2xy/((x2-y2)

!I don't understand why. I know that if two lines have slopes that are negative reciprocals then they are perpendicular (orthogonal), so I'm assuming it has something to do with that. But I'm not sure what. It seems since my answer is the negative reciprocal, have I just found the ODE that satisfies my original F, not the curves orthogonal to it? If so, why? I thought the gradient was orthogonal to the level curves of f(x,y). I don't know where my logic is wrong but I assume it's in going from having found ∇f to finding the ODE that satisfies it. Because I am a little confusd. ∇f just specifies a vector at a certain point. But I'm looking for a function. NOTE: I'm not looking for someone to solve the problem for me. I just really want to understand where my logic is wrong so I can understand the concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org

dumbQuestion said:
Now I know that for a curve in the family of F, at any point on the curve, ∇f(x,y) specifies a vector that is orthogonal to the curve at that point. Now this is where I get hazy. I want to find now an ODE that will satisfy this.

∇f(x,y) is the vector orthogonal to the F curves. The curves you are looking for must also be orthogonal to F curves, which means they must be tangential to ∇f(x,y). You, however, look for curves orthogonal to ∇f(x,y) - which means the F curves you started with. That's why you get the equation for the F curves in the end.

I don't know why you "plug z in for c". Rather, just differenting [itex](x- c)^2+ y^2= c[itex], with respect to x, you get [itex]2(x- c)+ 2y (dy/dx)= 0[/itex]. From that dy/dx= -(x- c)/y so that a curve that is orthogonal to that has dy/dx= y/(x- c).

What is the purpose of finding the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle?

The purpose of finding the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle is to determine the differential equation that describes the relationship between the curves and the circle. This can help in understanding the characteristics and properties of the curves, and can also be used in solving problems related to the circle and the curves.

How is the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle derived?

The ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle is derived by using the concept of orthogonality, which states that two curves are orthogonal if they intersect at right angles. By applying this concept to the curves and the circle, the differential equation can be obtained by equating the slopes of the curves and the tangent line to the circle at the point of intersection.

Are there any specific methods for finding the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle?

Yes, there are specific methods that can be used to find the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle. Some of these methods include using polar coordinates, using the concept of conformal mapping, and using the method of separation of variables. The choice of method may depend on the given problem and the familiarity of the scientist with the different methods.

What are some applications of the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle?

The ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle has various applications in mathematics and physics. For example, it can be used in modeling the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field, in solving problems related to heat conduction in circular objects, and in understanding the properties of harmonic functions. It can also be used in engineering applications, such as in designing circular antennas and analyzing circular gears.

Is finding the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle a difficult task?

The difficulty of finding the ODE for a family of orthogonal curves to a circle may vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the familiarity of the scientist with the methods used. In general, it requires a good understanding of calculus and the concept of orthogonality, but with practice and perseverance, it can be mastered by scientists with a strong mathematical background.