Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an old post

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sometimes a thread comes up about a topic I have posted at length on, but long ago. I may want to give a link to my old post, but frequently I don't remember what the thread was titled. I may recall some particular words or phrases I used in the discussion. Is there any way to search one's own threads by contents of the posts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2
    You can do that in advanced search
    https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php [Broken]

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 8, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perfect. Thanks for the quick response Greg. I hadn't noticed that feature.

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Nov 8, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Unfortunately, the search function uses OR for multiple words. And many physics-related words give too many hits to check all of them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Nov 8, 2012 #6

Evo

If it was your post, posting your member name in the google search will narrow it, you can use their advanced search and specify that your name MUST be in the result. I have pretty good luck that way.

8. Dec 20, 2014 #7

Borek

9. Dec 20, 2014 #8
    Google changes, PF changed, maybe you need to change how you search for it :)

Did the thread title contain the keywords pepper cookies? PF no longer has specific pages for posts. We use permalinks now. Maybe Google just can't find the post if it was buried in a long thread.

What forum was it in?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  10. Dec 20, 2014 #9

Evo

Borek, is this the pepper cookie you're looking for?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-food-thread.124615/page-88#post-2008101

I found it using PF internal search *pepper cookies* in General discussion, that was all, came right up. I always start with the least amount of info in PF and add. Those DO sound yummy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  11. Dec 21, 2014 #10

Borek

Thanks Evo, yes, that's it. I have it printed here, but someone asked me for a recipe and I hoped to be able to give just a link, instead of taking a picture and posting it to my fb account :/

Strange. Yesterday I did a search for "pepper cookies" posted by "Borek" and I got zero hits, now I get three.

But google search still doesn't work, as if the page was no longer indexed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook