How to Find the Operator A2 for A = d/dx + x

• Thread starter terp.asessed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary: You've been a great help! In summary, the conversation discusses a sample problem on quantum physics and the solution provided by the teacher. The student makes a mistake in expanding the operator A squared and asks for clarification. Through the conversation, the student is able to correct their mistake and solve for the correct solution. The conversation also touches on the application of operators in quantum physics.
terp.asessed
Hello--I am practicing for the upcoming quiz (as part of quantum physics), but have no idea how to solve the sample problem the teacher gave (w/ solution)...

Write out the operator A2 for A = d/dx + x
(Hint: INCLUDE f(x) before carrying out the operations)

so...I tried:

A {df(x)/dx + f(x)} = d/dx{df(x)/dx + f(x)} + df(x)/dx + f(x)
= d2f(x)/dx2 + df(x)/dx + df(x)/dx + f(x)
= d2f(x)/dx2 + 2df(x)/dx + f(x)

...when the solution is A[SUP]2[/SUP] = d2/dx2 + 2xd/dx + 1 + x2

...where did I make mistake? Could someone please point out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
terp.asessed said:
...where did I make mistake?

Here, right at the beginning:
A {df(x)/dx + f(x)} = d/dx{df(x)/dx + f(x)} + df(x)/dx + f(x)

You've expanded ##A f## as ##\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} f + f##. It should be ##A f = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} f + x f##.

Likes terp.asessed
Thanks! But, I still have trouble getting all the solution values:

A f(x) = df(x)/dx + xf(x)
= d (df(x)/dx + xf(x))/dx + x df(x)/dx + x2f(x)
= d2f(x)/dx2 +x df(x)/dx + x df(x)/dx + x2f(x)
= d2f(x)/dx2 +2x df(x)/dx + x2f(x)...I could NOT get (+1) part from the solution: A2 = d2/dx2 + 2xd/dx + 1 + x2

...How do I get (+1) value? Did I leave out some values while I tried to solve for A2?

terp.asessed said:
A f(x) = df(x)/dx + xf(x)
A2f(x) = d (df(x)/dx + xf(x))/dx + x df(x)/dx + x2f(x)
= d2f(x)/dx2 +x df(x)/dx + x df(x)/dx + x2f(x)
You didn't apply the first ##\frac{d}{dx}## correctly between the last two lines.

Wait, thank you for correcting my first mistake, but I still don't see how I got the last two lines wrong...

Thank you for correcting my first mistake, forgetting to add A2 f(x), but I still cannot see how I got last two lines wrong

DrClaude said:
You didn't apply the first ##\frac{d}{dx}## correctly between the last two lines.

...could you pls clarify more? Thanks.

You should get two terms out of
$$
\frac{d}{dx} \left( x f(x) \right)
$$

So, I should have gotten d(xf(x))dx, NOT x df(x)/dx?

d(xf(x))dx = xdf(x)/dx + df(x)/dx?

I redid from the beginning, but I still cannot get (+1) part:

A2f(x) = d2f(x)/dx2 + df(x)/dx + 2xdf(x)/dx + x2f(x)

I got df(x)/dx INSTEAD of 1...or rather f(x) in the case of A2f(x)...

Last edited:
terp.asessed said:
So, I should have gotten d(xf(x))dx, NOT x df(x)/dx?
I'm not sure what you mean here. You have written yourself the first term of ##A^2 f(x)## as d (df(x)/dx + xf(x))/dx, meaning
$$
\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{d f(x)}{dx} + x f(x) \right)
$$
which expands to
$$
\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{d f(x)}{dx} \right) + \frac{d}{dx} \left( x f(x) \right)
$$
It is the second term there that you do not calculate properly.
terp.asessed said:
d(xf(x))dx = xdf(x)/dx + df(x)/dx?
What is ##
\frac{d}{dx} \left( f(x) g(x) \right)
## ?

Likes terp.asessed
What is ##
\frac{d}{dx} \left( f(x) g(x) \right)
## ?[/QUOTE]

d(f(x)g(x)/dx = g(x)df(x)/dx + f(x) dg(x)/dx?

terp.asessed said:
d(f(x)g(x)/dx = g(x)df(x)/dx + f(x) dg(x)/dx?
Correct, now apply it to your problem by setting ##g(x) = x##.

GOTCHA! Finally got the result:

A2f(x) = d2f(x)/dx2 + f(x) + 2xdf(x)/dx + x2f(x)

Also, one more question...if A = 2x d/dx...just in case...is it:

Af(x) = 2x df(x)/dx
OR
=2xf(x) df(x)/dx?

terp.asessed said:
Also, one more question...if A = 2x d/dx...just in case...is it:

Af(x) = 2x df(x)/dx
OR
=2xf(x) df(x)/dx?
You can see that A as a combination of operators, ##\hat{A} = \hat{B} \hat{C}##, with ##\hat{B} \equiv 2x##, meaning "multiply by ##2x##," and ##\hat{C} \equiv \frac{d}{dx}##, meaning "differentiate with respect to ##x##." These operators are to be applied in sequence, starting from the right-most and moving to the left, meaning here "differentiate with respect to ##x##, then multiply the result by ##2x##." Therefore your first line above is correct.

Likes terp.asessed
Thank you very much!

1. How do I find the right operator for my experiment?

Finding the right operator for your experiment will involve careful consideration of the specific skills and qualifications required for the task. Start by determining the specific tasks and responsibilities that the operator will need to perform, and then search for candidates who have experience and training in those areas. Networking and reaching out to colleagues and industry professionals can also be helpful in finding potential operators.

2. What qualifications should I look for in an operator?

The qualifications needed for an operator will depend on the nature of your experiment and the specific tasks they will need to perform. Generally, operators should have a strong background in science, with specific training and experience in the relevant field of your experiment. They should also have excellent attention to detail, communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in a team.

3. How do I ensure the safety of the operator during the experiment?

The safety of the operator is of utmost importance during any experiment. It is essential to thoroughly train the operator on all safety procedures and protocols before beginning the experiment. Additionally, regular safety checks and proper use of personal protective equipment should be enforced throughout the experiment. It may also be beneficial to have backup safety measures in place in case of emergencies.

4. Can I hire an operator from a different field of science?

While it is ideal to have an operator with experience in the specific field of your experiment, it is possible to hire an operator from a different field of science. However, it is crucial to ensure that the operator has the necessary skills and qualifications to perform the tasks required for your experiment. It may also be helpful to provide additional training and support to help the operator adapt to the new field.

5. What qualities should I look for in an operator?

In addition to specific qualifications and skills, there are certain qualities that make for a successful and effective operator. These include strong attention to detail, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, the ability to work well under pressure, and a strong work ethic. It may also be beneficial to look for someone who is enthusiastic and passionate about the field of your experiment.