Finding an orthonormal system

• Thread starter overseastar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about finding an orthonormal system from the three given functions: 1, x, and 3x^2 - 1. The question also includes a weight function and a given interval. The conversation discusses the use of Gram-Schmidt and projection to find orthogonal vectors and how to convert them to unit vectors. There is also a mention of using a system of orthogonal functions with respect to a weight function to determine orthonormality.
overseastar
Hey,
I've taken linear algebra a long ago, and now came across a simple-looking question that i need help with

Construct an orthonormal system from the three functions:
1, x, 3x^2 - 1

Can anyone give me a pointer to solving this question?
Thanks a bunch!:blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Gram-Schmidt?

oh ya, this question is from a calculus homework before we get into Fourier Series and integral, so I don't think it wants us to apply Gram-Schmidt method.

ortho, and normal, only make sense with respect to an inner product. You haven't given one. And just because you've not been taught the formal proof of Gram-Schmidt doesn't mean you're not supposed to figure it out on your own; it is merely projection formally written down and not at all a tricky thing to figure out on your own.

it was with respect to 1...

1 what?
I can think of many different inner products on function spaces, and polynomial rings, none of them is called 1.

Sorry...Here's the entire question

Show that 1, x, 3x^2 - 1 are orthogonal functions with respect to the weight function 1 on the interval [-1, 1]. Construct an orthonormal system from the three functions.

I got the first part of the question, I'm stuck on the orthnormal part.

Currently looking through linear algebra notes, not quite understanding how to do it using Gram-Schmidt.

You know how to do projection? Ie given vectors v and w write w as the sum of a vector parallel to v and one orthogonal to v. That's all gram schmidt is, but you just do it again, and again, and again...

I thought Gram-Schmidt is used to find orthogonal basis only.
Sorry I might sound dumb, but the last time I took linear algebra was 2 years ago...don't remember much from it.

You can't get from a set of orthogonal vectors to a set of orthogonal vectors all of length one?

how do we do that?

If I were to say here are u and v two orthogonal vectors (none of which is zero), you can now write down two orthogonal vectors of length 1, right? I can't tell if you're kidding me because you think I"m being patronizing or if you can't find a vector of length one from another vector (it has been some years you say since you did this).

:bugeye: I'm not a very wordy person and I learn from seeing equations and numbers and examples, I guess it's kinda hard to explain it like that. Thanks for your help, I'll think about it for now.

according to my notes, it says that a system of orthogonal functions w.r.t. weight q of [a, b] is also orthonormal if (see attachment) for all m. Is that what you meant?

Attachments

• math1.JPG
    math1.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
If v is a vector (not the zero vector) then v/|v| is a unit vector in the same direction.

So if i were to rewrite the 3 functions in terms of vectors, would they become like this?

0 0 1 <-- 1
0 1 0 <-- x
3 0 -1 <-- 3x^2-1

so 1st vector would be
?

matt grime said:
If v is a vector (not the zero vector) then v/|v| is a unit vector in the same direction.

Ok, I finally understand the part after the unit vector.
What is the next step once I've got the unit vector for each of the function?

1. What is an orthonormal system?

An orthonormal system is a set of vectors that are both orthogonal (perpendicular) and normalized (have a magnitude of 1). In other words, all the vectors in the system are perpendicular to each other and have a length of 1.

2. Why is finding an orthonormal system important?

An orthonormal system is important because it allows us to simplify complex calculations and make them more manageable. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. How do you find an orthonormal system?

To find an orthonormal system, you first need to start with a set of linearly independent vectors. Then, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process to orthogonalize the vectors and normalize them to create an orthonormal system. Alternatively, you can use other methods such as the QR decomposition or singular value decomposition.

4. What are some applications of orthonormal systems?

Orthonormal systems have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, signal processing, and computer graphics. They are used to represent coordinates in 3D space, perform transformations, and solve systems of linear equations, among other things.

5. Can an orthonormal system be non-unique?

Yes, an orthonormal system can be non-unique, meaning there can be multiple sets of orthonormal vectors that satisfy the same criteria. However, any two orthonormal systems will have the same number of vectors, and the vectors in each system will be orthogonal to the ones in the other system.