Finding and deleting pwl files

• Thread starter z4955
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, PWL (Password List) files are used to store login credentials for user accounts on Windows. They can potentially contain sensitive information and deleting them helps protect personal data. These files can be found in the C:\Windows folder or by using the Windows search function. It is safe to delete all PWL files, but this will also delete saved login credentials. Regularly deleting PWL files is not necessary, but it is recommended if you experience issues or have security concerns. Deleting PWL files will not affect your computer's performance, but regularly cleaning up unnecessary files is always beneficial.
z4955
would someone pls tell me how to find the pwl files and delete them for a new pw?

Computer science news on Phys.org
password files? I haven't messed with those since pre Windows NT 4.0 days..

What OS are you on?

If you're running Windows 95/98, the .pwl files are in the \Windows directory (or \win95, \win98 - wherever your OS is). You can delete them with explorer, they are not locked once you log in.

1. What are PWL files and why do I need to delete them?

PWL (Password List) files are used by the Windows operating system to store login credentials for different user accounts. These files can potentially contain sensitive information and may pose a security risk if they fall into the wrong hands. Deleting them helps protect your personal data.

2. How can I find PWL files on my computer?

The location of PWL files may vary depending on your version of Windows, but they are typically found in the C:\Windows folder. You can also use the Windows search function to look for files with the .pwl extension.

3. Can I delete all PWL files on my computer?

Yes, you can delete all PWL files on your computer without causing any harm. However, keep in mind that this will also delete all saved login credentials for your user accounts and you will have to re-enter them the next time you log in.

4. Is it necessary to delete PWL files regularly?

No, it is not necessary to delete PWL files regularly. They only need to be deleted if you are experiencing problems with your user accounts or if you are concerned about the security of your personal data.

5. Will deleting PWL files affect my computer's performance?

No, deleting PWL files will not affect your computer's performance. These files are small and do not have a significant impact on your system's speed or memory usage. However, it is always a good idea to regularly clean up unnecessary files on your computer to free up space and optimize performance.