1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angle bisectors

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One bisector of the angle between the lines given by [itex]a(x-1)^2 + 2h(x-1)y + by^2=0[/itex] 2x+y-2=0. The other bisector is

3. The attempt at a solution
    Expanding
    [itex]ax^2+2hxy+by^2-2ax-2hy+a=0[/itex]

The angle between the pair of lines is given by

[itex]|\dfrac{2\sqrt{h^2-ab}}{a+b}|[/itex]

But those constants are still unknown to me. I can't really figure out how the given bisector can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2
    I suggest shifting the origin to ##(1,0)## and convert the given equation to a homogeneous second degree equation.

Can you take it from here?

4. Nov 19, 2013 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Shifting the origin only makes the equation simpler. The basic question still remains the same and this is where I'm getting stuck.

5. Nov 19, 2013 #4
    I am sorry to mislead you. You don't really need to shift the origin.

What do you think is the angle between the angle bisectors?

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I have already posted the formula needed to calculate it in my original post. However I don't know the constants.

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6
    The formula you quote is for the angle between the given pair of line, not the angle bisectors.

And you don't need a formula for angle between the angle bisectors. Think simple. Draw two intersecting lines, draw their angle bisectors and find the angle between them. Its quite straightforward then.

8. Nov 20, 2013 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Both will be perpendicular to each other. But what about the intersection point? I only know that slope of other bisector will be 1/2. I also need to find a point to find the exact equation.

9. Nov 20, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Where does the pair of lines given by the quadratic intersect? You have the equations for those two lines, right?

10. Nov 23, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try this:
    Drop a perpendicular from the incentre O to each of the three sides, meeting AB at C', BC at A' and CA at B'. ∠AOB' = ∠AOC' = α, say; ∠BOA' = ∠BOC' = β, etc. So what does α+β+γ equal? What is ∠BOC in terms of these? You can determine the value of ∠BOC. What does that give for the value of α? Can you use AO and α to find r?

11. Nov 24, 2013 #10

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I think you mistook this post for my another post. However, your method was really a good one.

12. Nov 24, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah - yes. Just copied it to the right thread for the benefit of anyone else reading them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted