1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angle inverse cosine

1. Oct 1, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the HW template
    Not sure if I'm doing this right. I have an angle theta to find but the cosine has been squared. I brought over inverse cosine to multiply to leave theta on its own. I was told the answer should be closer to 37 degrees? Am I doing something wrong here?

IMAG0042.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Did you calculate it via

arccos(sqrt(50/79.57) ?

4. Oct 1, 2015 #3

Mark44

On the 4th line from the bottom you have ##\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x} = \cos^2(\theta)##
    This is equivalent to ##\cos(\theta) = \pm \sqrt{\frac{\sigma_n}{\sigma_x}}##
    If you take the inverse cosine of both sides, you can isolate ##\theta##. You are NOT multiplying by inverse cosine to get this.

There are many values of ##\theta## that satisfy the last equation above. One that I get is around 37.6°. Please show us the calculation you did.

5. Oct 1, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Remember the notation ##cos^{-1}(\theta)## is not the same as ##1/cos(\theta)##.

6. Oct 1, 2015 #5
    Thanks for helping I worked it out as the same 37.56 degrees, my maths is a little rusty at the moment!

7. Oct 1, 2015 #6

Mark44

Keep in mind that +/-. There's another value around 142°.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted