1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding angle of a string

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://loncapa.vcu.edu/res/vcu/phys202/zzImages/Ch25_TB.jpg
    A charged ball with charge Q1 = 0.1 μC and mass 0.05 kg is suspended from a ceiling with a thin massless string as shown in the figure. The second charged ball has a net charge Q2 = -0.5 μC and it is located d = 0.3 m away from the suspended ball. What is the angle θ that the string makes with the vertical (dahsed vertical line) as shown in the figure? Provide your answer in degrees. (Note: The dashed horizontal line is not a string or rod, it only designates the distance d between the two spheres)

2. Relevant equations
    F=(K*Q1*Q2)/ (d^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I converted the charges to C first, getting 1e-7 and -.5e-7. Because the charges are attracting, I found that the force is equal to 5.6e-14, which would be my force in the x component. The y force component would be equal to F=mg, which is (.05 * 10). How would I go about finding the angle with these 2 values?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

You have a force whose x component is known and whose y component is known, right?

There is an easy way to do this and a hard way. The hard way is to compute the magnitude of the tension force first. You know its x and y components, so you should be able to find its magnitude. Then write down an equation for the x component of the tension force in terms of its angle and magnitude.

The easy way is to think about the ratio of the two components. There is a trig function that is equal to that ratio...

Edit: Or, there is a slightly easier way, if you are comfortable with small angle approximations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted