Finding the Angle Between Two Vectors: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the angle between two vectors, AB and AC, using the dot product and the formula (AB)(AC) cos theta = ACxABx +ACyABy + ACzABz. The person found the answer to be 46.8 degrees but got a slightly different answer using their own method. They also mention the use of magnitudes in the denominator of the formula. Another person provides the formula for finding the angle between two vectors and mentions not learning about it before.
formulajoe
ive got two vectors and i need to find the angle between them.
AB = -1.95i + 2.4j +.3k
AC = 2.4j+1.8k
i looked up the answer and found it to be 46.8 deg.
i used the equation (AB)(AC) cos theta = ACxABx +ACyABy + ACzABz
the dot product is 6.84. but the equation ends up like this
cos theta = (ACxABx +ACyABy + ACzABz)/(AB)(AC)

this is a dot product on top and on bottom right? i don't quite understand how this works. according to the answer, ABAC should be around 10.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a slightly different answer. (I hope I haven't forgotten everything from last semester.)

ACx is 0 so the dot product is 0 + (2.4)(2.4) + (.3)(1.8) = 6.3

and, the denominator of your fraction is not a dot product. It is the product of the MAGNITUDES of the two vectors.

Do you know how to get those?

Based on this I got θ = 47.5o (approx)

If you have
[tex]\vec{a}=<a_1,a_2,a_3>[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{b}=<b_1,b_2,b_3>[/tex]

then the angle is
[tex]\cos^{-1}\frac{a_1b_1+a_2b_2+a_3b_3}{ \sqrt{a_1^2+a_2^2+a_3^2} \sqrt{b_1^2+b_2^2+b_3^2}}[/tex]

argh, wish i had that this morning. we never went over that, he always gave us the angle already.

What is the definition of a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (length) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with its length proportional to the magnitude.

How do you find the angle between two vectors?

To find the angle between two vectors, you can use the dot product formula: cosθ = (a · b) / (|a| * |b|). This gives you the cosine of the angle, and you can use inverse cosine (or arccos) to find the angle itself.

Why is finding the angle between two vectors important?

Finding the angle between two vectors is important in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to determine the relationship and orientation between two vectors, which can be useful in solving problems and making calculations.

Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between two vectors can be negative. This occurs when the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions, causing the cosine of the angle to be negative. However, the magnitude of the angle will always be positive.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.