Finding Angles in Projectile Motion

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle at which a fire hose must be pointed in order to hit a target 2.0 m away. This can be solved by using the equations x = Vx0t and y = y0 + Vyot - 1/2ayt^2, where Vx0 = 6.8 cosθ and Vyo = 6.8 sinθ. By substituting these values and using the trigonometric identity cos^2θ = 1 - sin^2θ, the equation 9.8 = (6.8cosθ)(-6.8sinθ) can be simplified and solved for θ, giving two possible angles for the nozzle.
rakeru

Homework Statement

A fire hose held near the ground shoots water at a speed of 6.8 m/s. At what angle(s) should the nozzle point in order that the water land 2.0 m away? Why are there two different angles?

ax=0
xo=0
x=2.0 m

ay= 9.80 m/s/s
y0=0
y= I'm guessing 0, because it lands on the ground at approximately the same level..

Homework Equations

I'm guessing:

x = Vx0t

Vx0 = 6.8 cosθ

Vyo= 6.8 sinθ

y= y0 + Vyot - 1/2ayt2

The Attempt at a Solution

Oh my god. I have no idea why I'm having so much trouble with this problem. I've been trying to solve this for about two hours. I've re-written the equations in my book multiple times and I don't know how to solve this. I've been trying to solve for the time but there are so many variables.. I'm not even really familiar with cosine and sine. The problem implies that there are two angles in the answer. So I'm guessing it's because there's some sort of quadratic equation involved. I don't know. :/

I even tried to find a way to use substitution and find the time, but it was no use. Please, help! :'(

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the last equation to find the time (as function of θ, everything else is known), and find x based on that. As y and y0 are 0, you do not have to solve a (real) quadratic equation.

mfb said:
You can use the last equation to find the time (as function of θ, everything else is known), and find x based on that. As y and y0 are 0, you do not have to solve a (real) quadratic equation.

I don't understand.. how would I do that?? I already know that x is 2.0m.. Right? The final position is 2.0 meters away.. If I don't know Vyo, then how can I find t?? I'm so confused. Maybe it's the math :/

how would I do that??
Replace Vx0 and t by their formulas - you have the one for Vx0, you just need one for t.
I already know that x is 2.0m
Exactly, and you can use this to solve for the angle afterwards.

Anyway, try to use the last equation first. Plug in everything you know about the parameters there, simplify, try to solve for t. If you get stuck somewhere, post your steps here please.
It is just mathematics, indeed.

When I plug everything in, should I have:

0=6.8sinθ - 1/2(-9.80)(2.0/6.8cosθ)2

? Because t= x/Vx0

Uhm, so I did this:

0 = 6.8sinθ + 4.90[4.0/(6.8cosθ)2]

=6.8sinθ+ 19.6/(6.8cosθ)2

=(6.8sinθ)(6.8cosθ)2+ 19.6/(6.8cosθ)2

But I don't know what to do now.. Do I just remove the 6.8cosθ2?

Don't replace t in the last equation, that makes it more complicated.

0 = Vyot - 1/2ayt2
Can you find solutions for t in this equation? Something like t=...?
One solution is given by t=0 - it has to be, as you start at the ground. But there is another solution.

So like:

4.9t^2 + 6.8sin(theta)t = 0

t(4.9t + 6.8sintheta)= 0

t=0 or t= -6.8sin(theta)/4.9

?? Thank you so much for helping me, by the way. If what I did is right, then do I put that into 2.0= Vx0t??

If what I did is right, then do I put that into 2.0= Vx0t??
Right. This will give you an equation where just θ is unknown.

Okay but now the problem is that I don't know what to do with the cos and sin.. Is there a number for each? Is sin theta just multiplying the angle by something? How would I even multiply cos and sin together ? :/

Is sin theta just multiplying the angle by something?
It is not.

It could be enough to give that equation a computer (WolframAlpha can solve this, for example).
If you have to show more steps, you can use ##\sin^2(\theta)+\cos^2(\theta)=1## to get rid of either sin or cos, and solve the equation for sin(θ) (or cos(θ)) afterwards.

Well, when subbing your value for t into the equation for the displacement in the x direction, isn't there a trig identity that'd be much simpler to use?

DAPOS said:
Well, when subbing your value for t into the equation for the displacement in the x direction, isn't there a trig identity that'd be much simpler to use?

There is yes, one of the rules you need to know. It is actually in reverse.

verty said:
There is yes, one of the rules you need to know. It is actually in reverse.

But it is time for you to work it out now. Not much work has been shown in this thread.

I'm not actually the one asking the question. I was just trying to make the asker aware that there's a relatively simple solution available.

Okay so from:

9.8 = (6.8cosθ)(-6.8sinθ)

How would I put in

cos^2θ = 1 - sin^2θ ?

If I have cosθ, how would I make that cos^2θ to put it in? I'm confused.. I'm in a college algebra class and it's basically one of the pre-requisites in math for graduating. It's the lowest college level math class and we are doing mostly functions. I don't know pre-calculus or anything. The class just started a week ago.. so yeah. :/ My physics class has no pre-requisite.. except intermediate algebra.

rakeru said:
Okay so from:

How would I put in

cos^2θ = 1 - sin^2θ ?

If I have cosθ, how would I make that cos^2θ to put it in? I'm confused..

Keep in mind that cos2θ is just a shorthand. It means (cosθ)2. Therefore$$\cos\theta = \sqrt{\cos^2\theta}$$

rakeru said:
I'm in a college algebra class and it's basically one of the pre-requisites in math for graduating. It's the lowest college level math class and we are doing mostly functions.

Well then you're in luck, because sine and cosine are functions! Trigonometric functions. It sounds like you need to brush up on trigonometry. I highly recommend doing some reading about sine and cosine online before proceeding further with this type of problem.

rakeru said:
Okay so from:

How would I put in

cos^2θ = 1 - sin^2θ ?

If I have cosθ, how would I make that cos^2θ to put it in? I'm confused.. I'm in a college algebra class and it's basically one of the pre-requisites in math for graduating. It's the lowest college level math class and we are doing mostly functions. I don't know pre-calculus or anything. The class just started a week ago.. so yeah. :/ My physics class has no pre-requisite.. except intermediate algebra.

Well, there are quite a few identities out there that can come in handy when solving variables which are part of trigonometric functions. Have a look around and I'm sure you'll find one that'll help you out. It's one of the more common ones.

I think I might just give up on this problem. It's just making me anxious. I can't really "brush up" on trigonometry... I've never really learned it.

rakeru said:
I think I might just give up on this problem. It's just making me anxious. I can't really "brush up" on trigonometry... I've never really learned it.
Have a think about the identity sin(2x) = 2sinxcosx.

I would learn Trig, there are plenty resources available.

PS. ##sin^2 + cos^2 = 1## was never the right formula to use. Why deal with those horrid squares and square roots?

Hi! I didn't know if it would be right to reply here after a while.. But I'm so happy because today in class the professor explained this! :D

He asked the class if they wanted him to explain it and everyone became so silent.. But I needed to know! So I'm like "YES!" and the girl in back of me agreed a few seconds after.. So he did this problem where he taught us how to make sense of the cosine and sine things to find the two angles! I am so happy.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and is only affected by the force of gravity.

What are the key factors that determine the angle of a projectile?

The key factors that determine the angle of a projectile are the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height from which the object is launched.

How do you calculate the angle of a projectile's initial velocity?

The angle of a projectile's initial velocity can be calculated using the formula: tan(theta) = (Vy/Vx), where theta is the angle, Vy is the vertical component of the velocity, and Vx is the horizontal component of the velocity.

What is the optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion?

The optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion is 45 degrees. This angle allows for an equal distribution of the initial velocity in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

How does air resistance affect the angle of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the angle of a projectile by slowing down its horizontal velocity, causing it to decrease its range. Therefore, a lower angle may be more optimal in situations where air resistance is significant.